Can Anthem combine co-op multiplayer and story?

mongeese

Staff
Big quote: “How is a studio known for story and character going to apply those things to a co-op game? You have these big shared worlds; how do you illustrate the concept of choice?” Anthem’s developers have apparently been hearing fan’s questions – and aimed to answer them all with the concept of “Our world, my story.”

Anthem is looking good – real good. EA’s Bioware creative executives recently took to the stage at a panel at Pax West, where they revealed a new trailer (above) and discussed the game and where it’s going.

The developers explained that Anthem has been designed in two parts for two types of gamers, ‘Our world’ for those that want the full multiplayer co-op experience filled with action, and ‘my story’ for anyone that wants the deep story and connections that Bioware is known for. The two are seamlessly connected for the individual player, but each player can experience a different ‘my story’ depending on their interactions with NPCs at the home base, Fort Tarsis, and the lore they discover on missions.

We already knew that the player is part of a freelancer group, but the developers have now said that the group will be "like a soft family." The team is comprised of you, a freelancer who defends Fort Tarsis; Owen, your main cipher; Fay, a secondary but much more powerful cipher; and Halak, who is a retired legendary freelancer. He’s a mentor and a friend who’ll teach you skills as you learn about his past glory.

As ciphers, Owen and Fay are psychics that will guide you on your missions and warn you of incoming threats. They both have their own intriguing pasts you can discover.

As your home base, Fort Tarsis will offer upgrades, missions and unique interactions with the characters within. According to the developers, you can "have conversations that are deep and engaging" and "you’ll get to know the characters of Fort Tarsis intimately."

Story not your thing? You won’t need to go through role-play conversations in order to get to mission content, say the developers – they were adamant you can jump straight into the action should you prefer. They didn’t spend much time discussing the action - we’ve already seen plenty from other trailers - but they reiterated that there’s lots to enjoy either solo or with friends, either as part of missions or exploring.

It’ll be interesting to see how well this mixed approach pays off. Anthem is set for release on February 22, 2019 for Xbox, PlayStation and PC.

Permalink to story.

It's target audience will ruin it. As it is made for everyone no one will like it. Everything will be mediocre, it will be too simple for RPG fans and too deep for casual FPS fans, the plot wont have anything really interesting to adults as the game is made for 12 year old's and the 12 year old's will get bored as it's not enough like fortnite.

They should focus on good product first and all the money later, now it's the wrong way around.

I'm wondering if by 'story' they're actually going to include the concept of a plot? It seems to me that the mention of 'interactions with NPCs', 'conversations that are deep and engaging' and 'the lore they discover on missions' do not actually add up to a plot-based story, just a collection of events.

Bioware for all intents and purposes is dead to me. ME Andromeda was the nail in their coffin. I can't help but feel EA is responsible.

Bioware for all intents and purposes is dead to me. ME Andromeda was the nail in their coffin. I can't help but feel EA is responsible.

I'm on the same page as you. Mass Effect Andromeda was embarrassing for the company. Considering EA is the publisher, you could almost guarantee they had something to do with the game being garbage. This will definitely be a wait and see for me. The game looks interesting, but I simply don't trust either company enough to commit any money BEFORE seeing what it's like.

Back