can anyone help me with my router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maynard

i just got a Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway from my cable company. it is a modem with a built in router. i am using this as a wired modem, not wireless.

i just want to use this to connect to my PC, and the my xbox 360.
its like pulling teeth to set this thing up. the linksys people were not much help. I have the PC working just fine, its the xbox 360 that wont work.

i am pretty ignorant when it comes to routers. i dont know if i need to manually set up a IP or what the ip should be. when i allow the xbox to be setup automatically, it gives an invalid IP.

does anyone know how to setup this modem to work with a 360?

thank you

In not sure how to set up a xbox, but I'm guessing that it would be similar to Windows (since MS made it :p).

After setting up your router using web config tool, open up ethernet/LAN connection properties from Network Connections, open TCP/IP settings and fill (see link to pic)

1- IP Address, usually starts from 192.168.1.2. Enter something like 192.168.1.10

2- Subnet, leave as default

3- Tis the IP you use to access the router config via web browser

4- The DNS servers of your ISP.

Pic which should make it easier: https://www.techspot.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=8010&d=1155933382

Do the same for your Xbox.

wcg200 & xbox live

I've used xbox live through my comcast connection & the only time I ever had trouble was when I connected directly to the cable modem - since the MAC address of my console didn't match the one registered for the connection I had to call tech support and unblock the connection. You have a gateway, so that shouldn't be a problem - if your PC is connected then it's either your setup or the gateway setup. DHCP might be turned off or filtered by MAC address at the gateway. Try this link:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/webconnectivitywizard.htm
Using a dynamic IP address is the best option. If your console doesn't get an IP address (or gets one in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range) ask your cable company to check the setup of the gateway or help you check it. Most likely they've locked down the DHCP to registered MAC addresses only (MAC address filtering).

Happy gaming

well, i returned the wireless gateway for a regular old linksys wired router....

its the linksys REFSR41 router

and i still cant get this to work with my 360.....i dont understand why, very very frustrating because millions of people have an xbox 360 hooked up to the router and it works fine....why oh why cant i get this to work?

my pc works fine connected through the router, my 360 works fine connected directly to the modem......so why cant i get the pc and the 360 to work through the router?

linksys, xbox, and cox cable are not able to help......all i am supposed to do is plug this in and open 3 ports, which i did, but still it wont work.....i used the xbox connectivity wizard that was posted above, it didnt tell me anything except to do a power cycle.......i also tried a static ip, this doesnt seem to work either assuming i am doing this correctly

you fellas are my last hope, i seem to be stuck having to switch the cables back and forth directly through the modem......unless you guys have any ideas

thanks for any assistance

btw...i havnt tried anything but linksys, should i be looking into buying a different brand? i assumed linksys was a good brand.....but latley, when i think of linksys, i think P.O.S.

we need to know the exact topology of your network.
I would guess it used to be like this?
cable connection -> modem -> wireless cable gateway?
and now it's like this?
cable connection->modem->router?

If so, it sounds like the modem in this series is also a router. If so, your cable company had you double firewalled & so no wonder it didn't work. They still do, if this is the case. Check with your cable company, and if this is really the case, you should be able to simply use a hub and connect both.
If not, send your topology along with make/model of cable modem.

YosefM said:
we need to know the exact topology of your network.
I would guess it used to be like this?
cable connection -> modem -> wireless cable gateway?

it used to be like this with the gateway, i got rid of this setup

YosefM said:
and now it's like this?
cable connection->modem->router?

yes, it is like this now.....

YosefM said:
If so, it sounds like the modem in this series is also a router. If so, your cable company had you double firewalled & so no wonder it didn't work. They still do, if this is the case. Check with your cable company, and if this is really the case, you should be able to simply use a hub and connect both.
If not, send your topology along with make/model of cable modem.

your saying that i am still double firewalled? and if this is the case i need to buy a hub instead of a router? any suggestions on what to purchase?

i also have the following....

Motorola Surfboard Modem: Model #SB5101

and a linksys 4 port router: model # BEFSR41 ver 4.1

i am such a *****.....it was the ethernet cable.....i just changed the cable to check and see if that was the issue and sure enough, it works now......

i didnt think this could be the problem because that cable worked when connected directly to the modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back