can anyone help me with vista problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maynard

i have the vista premium home upgrade and i am trying to install it. i only get a few mins into the install and it does a compatibility check and then stops and gives me the following message

You must make the following changes before installing Windows

Close Windows installation and contact the device manufacturer for updated driver software for these devices:

o Disk drives: MSFT Memory Unit USB Device

The compatibility report will be saved to the current Windows desktop.

its a pos emachines and they are absolutly no help.....ms support is closed till monday.....but i would rather get help here anyways

thanks for reading

Disk drives: MSFT Memory Unit USB Device
Disconnect everything USB then. It doesn't like something concerning a usb device. Do you have any memory card readers built into that?

What do you have connected to your USB ports? You've got something that is registering with a memory capacity..

For what it's worth, I'd recommend against the upgrade on an eMachines. eMachines are cheap because they farm a lot of the hardware duties off to the CPU, making for cheaper devices. The tradeoff is the lesser power you find in these machine.

Vista, however, is a hog. It wants CPU, it wants RAM, and it wants it all. Even stripped down, it's a nasty little resource hog. Which on an eMachines means triple the effort on the cpu (which generally isn't the best..)

I would look for a better install candidate. Just my 2 cents.

SNGX1275 said:
Disconnect everything USB then. It doesn't like something concerning a usb device. Do you have any memory card readers built into that?

i only have the printer connected by usb.....i tried disconnecting everything except the keyboard and mouse and monitor, but that didnt work.....

i have a multi card reader with a micro drive and usb slot in the front of my tower....i opened the tower and unplugged it from the motherboard and it still gives me the same message.......

Sussed it.

Was trying to do an in place upgrade of Vista over Vista but it should be the same.

I had to use the remote registry editor on the Ultimate Boot CD For Windows to do this but in XP you might not have to.

You need to search through the registry for MSFT Memory Unit USB Device and delete any keys containing it. There were 3 on mine located at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR\Other&Ven_MSFT&Prod_Memory_Unit&Rev_1.00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\USBSTOR\Other&Ven_MSFT&Prod_Memory_Unit&Rev_1.00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Enum\USBSTOR\Other&Ven_MSFT&Prod_Memory_Unit&Rev_1.00

Once they were gone the install went through fine! I'm 99% sure it's all related to using Xbox/Xbox360 memory cards on your PC.

Hope this helps people out as there seems to be quite a few people suffering this problem and not getting anywhere.

Good luck! Let me know how you got on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back