Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong for remote assistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I have been trying to do a remote assistance with my brother in law but have not been successful. We both have followed all the steps that it requires and get close to having an established connection but it says remote assistance connection could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved. What can we do about that?
I have gone into my router and am using remote assistance exceptions. I tried turning of the windows firewall but have it listed as an exception also. What could be the problem. I need some step by step explanation as to what I need to do.
Thanks.

Best advice I can give is dont use the msn / outlook / windows one

Go to this link

www.pcpoorly.com/remote_assistance.html

down the bottom install the software VNC Remote Assistance.

On your computer during install you need to change it from 'full installation' to 'viewer only'

Your bro in law - download the same software and he needs to change the installation from 'full installation' to 'server only'

The instructions to connect up to your PC are also available on this page as a word file.

VNC is much more sturdy, reliable and faster than the one you're using, its also very simple to connect up

Any further assistance you can contact me at info@pcpoorly.com

Regards

Chris
(PC Poorly Ltd)

Your problem is that the PC requesting remote assistace has a router or high speed modem that blocks remote assistance from seeing that computers public IP address. So when you request remote assistance that PC is sending the wrong IP address. You need to save the remote assistance request as a file. On the PC requesting the assistance you need to goto a site that shows you your computers public IP address (such as http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/) and copy that IP into the Remote assitance request replacing the IP in there which is the computers local IP. For detailed steps you can google on how to do this. Once you got that fixed you send the modified assitance file to the other person. I have yet to find a way around this problem. Good luck :)

Need a program or option in windows to report correct IP

Yeah thats what it looked like to me too.... From what I can tell unless a program polls an outside website for your public IP it will have the same problem as remote assistance. I just downloaded a OpenSource VNC program and guess what IP address its reporting. 192.168.1.47 What we need is some program or some option in windows so it reports the correct PUBLIC ip address to these programs. Anyone know of such a program or a way for windows to report the correct IP?

The person you are connecting with probably has a router.

Your brother needs to forward the Remote Desktop port (Port 3389) to the local IP address of his computer he wants to give you access to.

For example, lets say his computer has an address of 192.168.1.50. Let's say his Internet IP is 64.45.2.100. He needs to connect to his router web config utility (Usually typing in the address of the router, which would be 192.168.1.1 in this case). In the configuration, somewhere is an option to forward ports. He'll put in port 3389 and forward it to 192.168.1.50.

Now, when you connect to his WAN IP of 64.45.2.100 over the Internet, the router forwards your RD request to his computer (192.168.1.50). The only way it cannot work now is if either of you have firewall software blocking the request.

The ports on your router are inconsequential, just his matter.

Anyone know of such a program or a way for windows to report the correct IP?
www.whatismyipaddress.com is probably the easiest way to do as long as the person has a working browser.

You both have to have XP Pro in order for remote assistance to work.
If his system is not PRO then he needs to borrow a XP Pro cd and install remote assistance

Its not a port forwarding problem.....

Me and my friend both have XP Pro and it still won't work. ports are open and forwarding. Its like I said because when your behind a router the computer requesting support gives the wrong IP to the machine thats gonna control. When I open the XP remote assistance file on either computer they both are reporting the incorrect port. That is the problem at least for me and I assume thats what ingeborgdot is having also because mine gives the same error as his. the remote host name could not be resolved. I believe you can download remote assistance for XP home also. I just tryed turning on upnp in my Westel router and now when I goto my network places it shows up. I'm gonna try a reboot now and see if windows reports the correct IP of the outside world...Probable not but I think I'm on the right track.

windmill007 said:
When I open the XP remote assistance file

windmill007 has a good point.

I never even thought of using it, but perhaps you are opening RD through a remote assistance file sent to you? Don't do this - Open the program directly. Start > Run > mstsc.exe

From you here can enter the IP address and user account login info.

You can also use various switches to control the behavior of mstsc.exe, by typing mstsc /help including specifying different ports, IPs, console sessions and more.

I've used it on an almost daily basis for years and it seems pretty straight forward. If you can't connect after that, its almost undoubtedly a firewall or router getting in the way, because there's not much else that can go wrong.

ingeborgdot said:
Right now I am using logmein for free. It is working for me at this point.

The best way to make Remote Assistance work is try these steps, and by the way the Remote Assistance download on my site www.pcpoorly.com is free. VNC is THE best remote assistance software I've used for ease of use and to work through NAT firewalls on Routers. Follow these steps and you wont go wrong

1) Download Win VNC from www.pcpoorly.com/Remote_Assistance.html
2) The machine you want to use to control the others change from 'full installation' to 'viewer only'. After install and restarting this will put a 'green eye' icon in the taskbar
3) On the machines you want to be able to control (the clients) these must install VNC but during installation change from 'full installation' to 'server only'. After installing and restarting this will put a 'blue eye' icon in the taskbar, during install make sure you tick the boxes in the list that say 'Register Ultra VNC as a system service' AND 'start or restart Ultra VNC Service'. You will also be prompted to use a password that you will never really use.
4) On the 'viewer machine' go to your Router settings and under 'firewall' or 'virtual servers' you will need to open ports 5500 and it is highly advisable you change all machines involved to not use DHCP of the router (automatically receive an IP Address) but manually set these on all computers so they use the same IP address's permanently

Hope this helps

4) On the 'viewer machine' go to your Router settings and under 'firewall' or 'virtual servers' you will need to open ports 5500 and it is highly advisable you change all machines involved to not use DHCP of the router (automatically receive an IP Address) but manually set these on all computers so they use the same IP address's permanently Hope this helps[/QUOTE said:
I don't seem to understand how to set my router settings to 5500. I am not sure where to go? Also about DHCP where do I go for that also? Thanks.

To access your router settings will depend on the make / model - see the instructions / webiste or netgear they say underneath the router the 'default address'

To make your PC have the same IP address from the router you need to access the router settings (see next paragraph) to see what your default gateway is. This is most likely the same as the router web based setup page eg 192.168.0.1

(1)Once you have found this right click your wireless / LAN icon and select 'status'

(2)In the box that springs up select 'properties'
(3)In the next box you will be presented with a list, schroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click on it and press properties
(4)In the next box the green dots will be in 'obtain IP address automatically' and 'Obtain the following DNS Server Address' - move the dots to 'Use the following IP Address / Use the following DNS Server Address'
(5) In the top box (IP Address) type in the IP address you would like to use permanently - this must have the first 3 numbers as the the web based address ie 192.168.0 and then choose your last number
(6) In subnet mask type 255.255.255.0
(7) In Default Gateway type the same web based number eg 192.168.0.1
(8)In 'Use the Following DNS Server Address' type the same number as above eg 192.168.0.1

And thats it - your PC when you turn it on will now always be assigned the same address you choose

Look at the webiste / instructions manual etc for something that looks like this 192.168.0.1 (you type this into the address bar to access the routers web pased setup page). Once you have found this look for the 'virtual servers' or firewall section, where you will be able to enter the new always same IP address of your PC (as done above) and port 5500 - this will allow VNC Server to go through your Router to allow Remote Assistance requests to come in

It sounds more difficult than it is

I have a 2wire router from SBC. It is a 1701HG Gateway from 2wire. I know that to access it and get in to make adjustments I have to use the numbers 192.168.1.---. I just left off the last three numbers. Are those the numbers you are talking about?

You would need the last 3 numbers as well

if this is 192.168.1.254 etc this is what you will need to type in to access the settings

this number will also be your 'default gateway' number and 'DNS Number' as in points (7) and (8) previously

I am getting closer. I guess though that I just don't understand what exact numbers to put in the boxes. Where exactly do I get them in my router? Do I get them when I access my router? No matter what I have put in it just won't work. I can't even get internet access.

Here are the only places inside my router that would have anything I need to use. I am not sure what to use.
Internet connection
Internet address - 70.&&&.&&
subnet mask - 255.255.255.255
default gateway - 151.164.&&.&&&
primary domain name server 68.94.&&&.&
secondary domain name server 68.94.&&^.&

under the advance section
Broadband IP
obtain auto
manually
IP address
subnet mask
default gateway

Broadband DNS
obtain DNS auto
manually configure DNS
primary server
secondary
domain name

Public network
enable check enable to create a route from internet to the public network specified below

Bridge network
enable check enable to allow broadband IP addresses to be used on the local network

I have never done this before so I am still a little befuddled as to which exact numbers to use. Sorry for the stupidity.

Ok ignore all those numbers, the address you used to get to those numbers is the one you need

For example my setup is this:-

to access the web based router settings I type in 192.168.2.1 into the address bar

so this number is used also in setting up your PC to receive the exact same IP address as mentioned before so, in the TCP/IP properties box it looks like this

'Use the following IP Address'
IP Address 192.168.2.2 (the last number 2 is the one I've chosen to use myself)
Subnet Mast 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.2.1 (note how this number is the same as the web based address)

And in the Box underneath
Preferred DNS Server Address 192.168.2.1 (same again)

And thats it, hope this helps stick with you'll get there eventually

I think I got it working now on my end. What will I have to do to get it working on his end. If it took me this much I don't know what I will do for him. I had enough brain farts on this one. I just wasn't reading it right I guess. It seems to be working fine now. Or will it work on his end now without doing any more?

All he needs to do is install the VNC software as 'server only' so he gets the blue eye icon next to the clock - instead of the green one like yours.

So he needs to:-

During install - change it from 'full installation' to 'server only'

Theres a tick box list also, he needs to tick the top 2

He will be prompted to enter a password, he wont need to remember or use it, its just a setup warning of using the default password

Once he's restarted and he sees the 'blue eye' icon next to the click this is how he should connect up to your PC

Right click the icon and select 'add new client'

In the box that pops up he needs to type your IP address in the top section (Host Name) - then press OK

At this point his blue eye icon will turn green (his desktop may also change colour) and you will have a display pop up on your screen where you can see and control his machine.

Tip - to get your IP address to give him go here www.whatsmyip.org

Good luck!

Ok, which ip address does he put in the box?
When I go to the what's my ip address it says my external address is a 70.@@@etc.
My internal ip address is a 192 number. Which one do I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back