Can ATI All-Wonder card as of 1998 run under XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran ATI Rage II/II+ under 98SE just fine version 4.10.2420. I installed new MOBO VIA KT400A + 8237 and loaded out XP. The monitor is now has some ghost lighting on the sides and seems a bit dimmer than before. The driver I was using is still on what was my "C" drive under 98SE but is now my "D" drive (only had 8GB but lots of pictures I wanted to keep). I assume everything on "D" including the 98SE OS could be removed without ill effect on the rest of my system. Question; I'm thinking I could install my orginal ATI disk which has drivers and "stuff" (like the TV watching ability) that supported 95, 3.1, NT etc and then find the best driver that would run this card under XP. Is that an ok approach or should I try something else or just go buy another, more current card. If so which one? I want to do alot of multimeadia stuff and watch and record etc TV, VHS, Beta, etc.

I hope this makes sense and thanks for any consideration and/or advice.
Richard

You need to check the ATI website for Win2k or XP drivers. Win9x drivers will not work and the old utility programs will probably have problems too.

XP has all the drivers for older hardware. I installed Rage2 w/o drivers. It worked perfect.

But, I'd suggest you get a card with more memory for what you're going to do. Or just get a mobo with built-in video.

Thanks much for the feedback. I looked at the ATI website but didn't see a match. I began by putting it in the MOBO and letting it fly. So far so good. My problem is the S/W CD for it dates back to 1998 as with references to 95 etc. So I have loaded nothing to my c drive in support of ATI. But I also don't have my TV icon either. I guess that's the kind of thing I'm making reference to. I will look at XP and see what's available. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back