Can connect to wireless network, but no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can connect to a wireless net work with an "excellent" signal, but it will not let me get on the internet. If I plug the ethernet cable into the router, then it lets me get online. I think that something on the laptop is not set up right, but I don't know what it could be. My room-mate is able to get onto the internet with a connection to the same wireless network/router. Please help me, I don't know anything about this stuff. Thanks

How exactly do you have your wireless setup? What type of encryption? Do you have the DNS servers specified, or taken from DHCP? Are you manually assigning an IP address, or are you getting it from the DHCP? Can you ping www.google.com?

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Is it XP - or Vista?

Vista can be difficult to Network if it doesn't recognise the network and promt you to add it to "Home", "Work" etc.

Is your Router Security Enabled? ie WEP, WPA etc? You will need the key if it is.

It is XP. The network does have is security enabled, but the pass word for it has already been put on the computer. My room-mate set it up. She set both of them up the same way, we just can't figure out why mine won't get online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back