Can I delete after tranfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, aI am new person on this forum, got a question about a external hard drive I just installed. I have a small c drive, and bought a nice 250gig external, want to tansfer most of my files on the c drive to the e drive(new external), what I need to know before I do anything, after I transfer can I go ahead and delete the files from the c drive.

Usually I do not have a dumb question, but I am doing a blank on this one. Any help would be welcome. Never used a external hard before.

Thanks Bob

Once you have copied all your files over to the external drive
Go to My Computer and open the external Hard Drive and confirm all files are actually OK.

Depending on how critical your files are (for backing up) you may wish to have two backup sources ( one on external drive, one on C drive)
But normally, once confirmed OK, just delete all the non-needed files on your C drive

Can I delete these files

Thanks for the great advice, I am still showing a few gigs I would like to move, but not sure if it safe or not, like windows unistall that is 490mb

Again thanks for the help.
Bob

You should probably leave Windows files alone. If you want to delete Windows files you should use the Disk Cleanup feature. Go to Start> My Computer then right click C: and choose Properties under the context menu. Now click the Disk Cleanup button and let the wizard do its work. It'll take a few minutes to figure out what it can compress and then it'll let you choose which files you can delete. Don't just start deleting Windows files willy nilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back