Can I install a 128MB video card or higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saif

I have an Intel P4 845 AGPset. I use an ATI Rage 128 Pro 32 MB graphics card. Can I install a 128 MB {or higher} graphics card?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The chances are you can.

However, if you could give us your mobo make and model, we can tell you for sure.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

P.s Please use proper thread titles. Thanks.

I did'nt get you. what you mean by mobo make and model. My PC is assembled so it does not have a make and model. My mother board is an Intel 845 AGPset GA-8IDML. Thats what the manual says.

Apparently your mobo is a Gigabyte GA-8IDML. It has a 4X agp slot. This means that you shouldn`t have a problem upgrading the graphics card. Just make sure that your PSU is capable of supplying enough power for any graphice card upgrade you get.

Regards Howard :)

Psu=Power supply unit. The better the video card the more power it`s going to need from the psu. If your psu isn`t capable of putting out enough power, then this would create problems, such as freezing or BSOD`s with the new card. Typically a good quality psu of around 400 to 450 watts would be fine. PSU`s such as Fortron/Enermax/Antec are good quality.

Agp(Accelerated Graphics Port) is the type of graphics card slot your have. It is an AGPx4 slot. You can use any AGP graphics card that is either x4 or x8 speed.

Pci(Peripheral Component Interconnect) Can be used for graphics cards, but in your case you need to use the AGP slot, as this will give you much better performance and lots more choice of cards.

Regards Howard :)

Saif what is your budget for the video card upgrade? If you tell us your budget and the different games that you play, then we will find the perfect AGP card for you.

okay well $100 is pretty decent for an upgrade. I spent $112 and got this card recently....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121196

For $100 you are looking at something like this
1). BFG 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 8X...I do not have any experience with BFG tech but it looks like a nice card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143056
2). ASUS 6600 128MB 128-bit DDR AGP 8X...(128MB version of my card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121197

Between those two cards the first one is better and cheaper too. :bounce:

Questions: Is your computer a custom build or store bought (Dell, Compaq, HP)? How much RAM do you have? To find out how much RAM you have...go to START---RUN---type dxdiag---if prompted click YES--on main window under system tab look at Memory and voila. It is also a neat tool to see other system info like graphics card, etc. Can you open up your computer case and tell us what kind of Power Supply you have? It should be written on the side of the power supply (ex. Antec 500W, +5V=35A, 12V1= 17A, 12V2=19A, +3.3V=32A).

My PC is custom built. I have 128 megs of RAM. I don't know about the power supply, But I can tell you that my mother board doesnt support 8x AGP cards. Only 4x. Arent PCI cards good?

saif said:
My PC is custom built. I have 128 megs of RAM. I don't know about the power supply, But I can tell you that my mother board doesnt support 8x AGP cards. Only 4x. Arent PCI cards good?
Not as much as AGP cards. Most PCI cards are very weak. U might want to get more RAM too, coz u wont be able to play many games with 128 MB. A mobo upgrade would benefit u, if u have the cash to go for it. Ur mobo supports only SD RAM, which is outdated now. If u dont want to upgrade however, u can get this RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141515
Its 512 MB which will be enough for most games. But if ur thinking of playing BF2 or the like, u will need to buy two of the above sticks of RAM. This is only needed if ur into playing new games. Older ones such as Unreal Tournament(I know ppl who still play this online in clans) will run fine on 128 MB. But ur main problem would be XP, which will noticeably lag on 128 MB.

I agree completely....you need at least 512MB of RAM with XP. That sucks about them being 168-pin though. Don't worry about the AGP 4X thing, because most AGP cards are backwards compatible (AGP 4X/8X). The cards I posted will work with your motherboard. Do not buy a PCI card, that would be a waste of money.

Can you open up your case and tell us about your power supply??

I shall try to open my PC case to check the power supply. Cant I get to know through some software like cpu-z ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back