Can i plop an agp 2 or 4x in 8x slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebulus

Nooooooob alert! :D

Sorry, but i dont know squat about this issue with AGP, cos I have always been limited to using PCI Cards before gettin my new mobo.

I am thinking about purchasing a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128mb card, or maybe even a Radeon (why does that name always make me think of washing powder?) -9000 Pro.

As stated previously my moby is 8x AGP (Asus A7V8X), but these cards that i have looked at are the cheaper models that say 4x/2x on them.

Im guessing that AGP 8x will support older cards, but I would just like to get this confirmed by you guys before i spend my spondoolies :monkey:

Cheers

Yes, it supports 2x, 4x and 8x... (Though there might be a problem with very old agp cards (voltage difference)
So you should have no problems with either of those cards running at 2x or 4x...

As for which card, I'd recommend the Radeon 9500pro if you have the cash for it...

here are some arguments for the 9500 pro...

It also got a very good speed increase with the CAT 3.0 drivers. :)

8X AGP is backward compaitable with 4x Agp cards. a better choice than the 9000Pro would be the 9500 Pro. the Ti 4200 is a far more powerful card than the 9000 Pro. ( I have both cards)

both cards you've mentioned there chap, are AGP 4x :)

yip yip, they'll work in an AGP 8x slot, nearly all 4x cards will for that matter, but 2x i'd say won't, reason being, the gold teeth at the bottom of the card, has got like.... slits in it.

they're placed in different places on 2x cards to 4x cards, 4x cards have 2 slits, to make them go into older boards and obviously newer, i'm not saying these are the only things that make the cards what they are (in terms of bus speed) but as a general rule of thumb, it's a pretty easy and normally accurate way of telling, and...! :)

older cards require different voltages than newer cards and that's another reason why 2x cards won't work on some 4x and prolly all 8x slots :)

but certainly, the Ti4200 would be a nice card to get : ) altho, i'd wait for the GF-FX (only a month or so) so the price of the Ti4600 will shoot down :) and u could pick urself up a real bargain fingers crossed.

altho beware though, u won't have the same choice of manufacturers that you do now, for example, Creative have stopped making Ti4600's : (

hope thats of some help ;-]

I tried to answer your question but i got this weird server error. Now there is 15 almost identical posts from two different errors!?!?!?

Anyway agp 3.0 supports agp 2.0 (4x) and agp 3.0 (8x).

I have no doubt as to that you can.

Man that was bad. My record straight posts is 4 identical...:haha:

this topic required a simple answer...:rolleyes:

give Greeno a referral
i guess i did that too by accident, give me one too!:D

The first thing I tried when I saw how many posts I had in this thread, I tried to delete them...
For some strange reason, I've lost access to delete my own posts...

So I have no choice but to let a moderator do the job...

And I won't bug Julio 'bout getting access back right now... He's got more than enough to do with applying the hacks again etc...

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
The first thing I tried when I saw how many posts I had in this thread, I tried to delete them...
For some strange reason, I've lost access to delete my own posts...

So I have no choice but to let a moderator do the job...

And I won't bug Julio 'bout getting access back right now... He's got more than enough to do with applying the hacks again etc...

My delete finger hurts now. Hope this type of problem doesn't arise again anytime soon ;)

Thanks for the input you guys! Very informative and helpful as always. Now i just have to decide which one to get

Mr Garibaldi: as for which card, I'd recommend the Radeon 9500pro if you have the cash for it...
Very interesting handy input that under that link, ive read so much Pro- 'Ge-force' issues and this makes Radeon stand on its feet in my mind now. I am indeed looking at the 9500 now instead of the 9000 though (as you recommend), and so Its between the Gainward Golden Sample Ti4200 Powerpack! Ultra (which i have seen and luv the sound of), or Ati Radeon 9500 which sounds like it really measures up. Hmmmm, its a tough one.

Greeno: the Ti4200 would be a nice card to get : ) altho, i'd wait for the GF-FX (only a month or so) so the price of the Ti4600 will shoot down
Yes, this sounds like very good advice, i hadnt heard of the GF-FX before now.
Its just a case if i can hold my reigns till then or not. I do currently have a 3D Prophet 2 MX PCI which is sufficient, and so im not desperate for a card 'Right now', so I might wait. It certainly would pay to do so i think, its just whether i can stop this money burning a hold in my pocket, hehe :D

Thanks all

if your interested in higher performance than the 9500 pro then consider the 9700 non Pro board it is clocked slightly slower than the 9700 pro ( but with a bios flash it can be clocked to Pro speeds) and you can get the card for around 242.00 from newegg. if your considering an FX card you better be prepared to spend between 500.00-600.00 for one.

exactly what i was gonna write, but i was gonna suggest the Ti4600 again :)

the 9700 is undoubtably a v.good card, but nearer GF-FX time, it's still gonna cost quite abit more than the Ti4600 imo.

For a price to performance ratio in this instance, that's what i'd recommend, i've got a Ti4600 and it eats UT2003 and games like that a pretty high res's at 32Bit colour.

Assuming the rest of your machine doesnt bottleneck it too much or anyway, but should it to, you'd be really doing a 9700 injustice.

you could wait for the GeForce FX, but like ISS said, they're bloody expensive to say the v.least.

looking at the headline on techspot's homepage the other day about the 3dClub one's costing like 600/650 euro's was it ? that' like £450ish d00d :)

(i aint worked it out exactly, but it's fairy close)

:)

Greeno,

I worked out a simple and easy to remember currency converter for evaluating FX prices.

450 euro's and above = way to much :D

Don't lets get confused here y'all :D Im not after a Ti4600 at the mo, they are currently out of my budget range, and also the ATI 9700. I have £120 Sterling approx for this card (about 188 USD).
What im thinking of doing, as Greeno suggested, is waiting for the Geforce FX to come out so that some of the higher cards may come into my price range or i could get my current fancied card a little cheaper.

Now another thing ive found out is that my motherboard supports cards with a +1.5 voltage, so the card i get has to have that in the spec.

Also, i would like to ask whether getting an AGP 8X Card will give me a huge perfomance increase over a 4X Card? As they seem to be a lot more expensive, so im guessing that the answer would be yes, but whats your take on this?

iss: 9700 pro; you can get the card for around 242.00 from newegg

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately though, newegg.com seems to be a US site. Theres no UK Site :(

Also something you probably dont have to worry about in the US is paying Tax on your purchases, us Brits have to pay 17.5% extra in tax on 'everything' we buy online! Sux0rz!!! :mad:
So im paying that much more than you lucky doods in the Good ole US of A :blackeye:

Originally posted by DaGangsta
Also, i would like to ask whether getting an AGP 8X Card will give me a huge perfomance increase over a 4X Card? As they seem to be a lot more expensive, so im guessing that the answer would be yes, but whats your take on this?

There isn't too much of a difference between the two...
Here is a test from HardwareZone which tests the ATI 9700pro on AGP 4x and AGP 8x...
(They've previously tested with Sis Xabre 400 and the GF ti 4200-8x (or whatever it's called)

In short:
As seen from our tests on previous parts, the SiS Xabre 400 had up to 4% increase in performance using the AGP 8x interface over AGP 4x. This is larger than the 1% difference we obtained with graphics cards such as the NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200-8x and the RADEON 9700 Pro. However, the latter two graphics cards are equipped with twice the amount of frame buffer and are far more powerful than the SiS Xabre 400. These differences give rise to the smaller percentage improvements we have seen on the more capable graphics cards. Perhaps the faster AGP interface is more useful for low-end graphics cards at this point of time.

So if you have an older motherboard which only supports up to 4x, I wouldn't say you have any need to rush out and buy a new one just for the performance increase....

Hmmm, thats some crackin information. Thanks Mr G :)
I actually have an 8X Mobo but was wondering whether it might be worth the extra dosh to go for an 8 over a 4 model.

Ta ;)

I seriously doubt that any price diff between the ti4200 and ti4200-8x is worth it...
But if you get the -8x for the same price as the regular I wouldn't hesitate :)

And thank you!
It's nice to help people make informed purchases :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back