Can I save my data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurriken

My computer continues to cycle reboot. I was able to get to a diagnostic screen that scanned the system and said there are no hardware problems. I was able to get to the C:> prompt so I typed "CHKDSK" and it says "This volume appears to contains one or more unrecoverable problems". I put an XPpro disk in (I'm running pro) and folled the instructions found here. {the site won't let me post a link until my third post.} :::thinking:::: w w w .techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

The problem is when I get to the last step it does not offer me the repair option. It shows "C: partion1 [unknown] 131072 MB (131071 MB free)"

It offers me to:
"Set up Win XP on the sected item press enter"
"Create a partition in the unpartioned space, press C."
"To delete the selected partition, press D"

I'm worried that my data is doomed. Is there anything I can do here?

Teranius said:
select the setup xp option, the repair option should appear then
I hope your right. I really think it will fix the problem I'm just nervous about losing my pictures and some other data. I am now a believer in backing up data. No more procrastination.

If worse comes to worse, get another hard drive and install your OS to that, then slave in the old HD and you should be able to recover all files.......

I had same scenario happen to me about a year ago. My HD was not even being recognized, but I added OS onto new HD and then accessed the corrupted HD using a nifty file recovery tool. So, just be careful and DON'T wipe your current HD. There are numerous recovery options provided you don't wipe the data.................

-

Is that difficult? I tried to slave an HD from an old computer and it had a different connector. I bought a little adapter card and cable but it didn't work.

It could be tricky, depending on OS's and such. That's why I recommend using same OS installed onto new HD, in same computer, then slave in the bad HD. This way, there's no conflicts and you should be able to access the data.

If you don't want to buy a brand new HD, then just ask around and someone probably has an old one you can use to boot with, but install your OS onto it before trying to access corrupted HD. Once you recover all data, then you can (if necessary) re-install fresh OS onto the corrupted HD, after new format of course.................

-

I have XP pro that came installed on my computer (its an HP a1630n I can post more info if it would help just let me know)and I have an XP pro disc I borrowed from a friend. I guess if I purchased a new hard drive I could use it for storage later. I was thinking about getting an external storage drive before this happened. I guess this will justify the purchase, eh? It sounds like it will take me a serious amount of time to repair this.

Hello, Hurriken, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, it shouldn't take you too long to get this fixed :)

Find out what type of hard drive you have now (IDE or SATA - if you would like more information don't hesitate to ask) then buy another one of the same type.

Connect the new drive into your pc, leaving the old one out, and install windows with your cd key that came with your pc.

Once windows is set up and running, turn the pc off, plug in the old hard drive, making sure that the jumpers are set to master for your new drive (this will probably be default) and slave for your old drive (again, ask for more info)

Turn the pc back on and it will install a driver for your new drive - it will only take a few seconds.

Copy your data onto your new hard drive and you're sorted :) Unless the old drive is faulty or dying then you could keep it for storage/backups.

I know you've done 4 posts but you haven't been officially welcomed yet ;)

Well, sounds like you gotta good start. This job should be easy, assuming you buy new HD. Make sure the XP Pro install disc has SP2 on it, otherwise you'll have a hard time formatting the new HD.

Have your XP Pro key numbers available and install the new HD, follow manufacturer directions and you should be good to go.

As I said, just make sure the XP Pro disc contains SP2. If it does NOT contain SP2, then lemme know. There is a way to create your own install disc and add SP2. It's a little complicated, but works good.

If you slave in the old HD and can't access it, lemme know, and I'll hook you up with an awesome recovery program.

-

You can always put XP on and then SP2 afterwards, you can get a free disc from Microsoft (via website) or you can download the installer and put it on a cd-r

Daveskater said:
You can always put XP on and then SP2 afterwards, you can get a free disc from Microsoft (via website) or you can download the installer and put it on a cd-r

I'm sure you know more than me, however, if he uses a XP w/SP1 install disc, I believe he won't be able to properly format a large HD over 137gb??? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I had this problem myself, and it was solved as soon as I made an install disc with SP2 on it.

I was going to suggest he use nLite - http://www.nliteos.com/ - to slipstream SP2 into his original XP, thus creating a new boot disc. This assumes his install disc is SP1. If it's SP2, then no problem. Sounds like you may have an easier way than slipstreaming............

thanks

You guys are great thanks.

However there are some new developments. My friend is an IT and he talked me through several steps over the phone. Pretty much what I already did here plus a few steps. He said my hard drive is going bad. So I need to buy a new drive (I think we have already decided that) but which one? I have pretty much settled on Western Digital because they get great reviews and seem reliable. The current drive is 250GB. I was thinking about buying a 160gb to improve the speed for gaming. Am I understanding this correctly? I will buy an external storage drive early next year. The only thing I know is it has SATA connectors.

Operating System, Unfortunately the only disk I have is the Dell XP Pro disk I borrowed from a friend. My IT friend doesn't think I can load it. My HP came with XP Pro installed on it so it looks like I'll have to buy XP. The question is what should I buy? Pro home or other? They all seem to come with SP2 on the disk.

It seems much cheaper to mail order these things so I guess thats what I'll do. New Egg seems to have competitive pricing.

I will fill in my profile soon.

Thanks again.

Hurriken

You already have a valid copy (I'm assuming) of XP Pro on your HP, so all you need are the CD Key numbers and then you can use just about any XP Pro installation disc, but I'm not sure about the Dell disc. However, you can borrow someone else's XP Pro disc, and then just be sure to use your own CD Key.

So, the only thing you really need are the CD Key numbers. Do you have them? There are a few different ways to get the numbers from the bad HD, but it could be difficult. Hopefully you have the numbers already?

Dave F.

-

If you don't use all of your 250GB drive then it would save you a few $ by getting a 160GB one, but it would not increase the load rate in games.

To keep game speed at its best, make sure you regularly defragment your drive and don't fill it up too much. You want at least 20% free space for ok performance but at least 30% free for near enough optimum performance.

Dave-427SS is right, you should be able to use any XP Pro disc other than the Dell one (i think they take difference keys) because when you buy Windows, you pay for the License and not the software.

NewEgg is a good site and a lot of people use it here :) Only thing i think it's missing is a way to sort the results (by price, name etc) but other than that it's pretty good

I am not finding a product key anywhere in the paperwork and I have all of it. Looking at HP's website it tells you to continue with software install and it will give you a choice between reformating and recovery. I'm a bit nervous about trying this. I guess its better to pay the price of a HD and OS rather than lose a year of pictures. ::::*****:::

Which OS should I buy XP pro or XP home? I don't really know the difference, I've always had pro. On the bright side at least I'll have my own copy on disc.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

There's a key finder program. You need to run it from the HD though, so it probably won't work for you since you can't boot.

Alternatively, some HP models will have stickers on the comp, with CD Key.

I have just discovered (but not confirmed) someone saying that if the system is one from a company like HP/Compaq/Dell, etc. the key used for those systems are OEM, and will not work if used with a 'retail' copy of XP. Kind of a bummer. So you should probably try to locate a HP install disc. Have you called HP support for this problem? They may be able to send you a XP Pro install disc at replacement cost, and perhaps they can tell you how to recover your CD Key, or maybe give you a new one.

Don't worry here. Your data is 99% safe, so long as you don't mess with the bad HD.

If you end up having to purchase a new OS w/CD Key, then I would get same OS as you are currently using, just to ensure ease of data recovery after new HD is up and running.

Hurriken said:
Which OS should I buy XP pro or XP home? I don't really know the difference, I've always had pro. On the bright side at least I'll have my own copy on disc.

There's not a lot of difference between Pro and Home, Pro has more networking features. There's a thread around here about it somewhere but i can't find it right now ;)

Use the phone number that is listed under parts on the left hand side of the screen. They will sell you a new recovery disc set, if they have any remaining in stock for that model. The product key which should be stuck to the side, back, or bottom of your HP will only work with that recovery disc set.
The HP disc set is less than $30 including shipping and arrives within two or three days.

Your right, they sold me a recovery kit complete with XP (the version that came with my model) for $15 + $5 shipping. I hope it comes with the service packs. I'll get a hard drive and let you know how it goes. That tip saved me from buying a $150 disk.

I had to put this on hold because I was too busy with Christmas and some other responsibilities.

I have the hard drive now and I want to install it as the main drive. It is a WD Caviar SE16 SATA 300 MB/s MO/s.
What I don't understand is the jumper. I have a choice:
1) Default Standard config (no jumper)
2) SSC Enabled Spread spectrum clocking enabled
3) PM2 enabled but I don't think my drive came with this
4) OPT1 Enabled 150 MB data transfer speed
Which should I choose?

WD also included a disk called data Lifeguard Tools with Google crap*. Should I install that or just put XP straight onto it?

*OK it's Google software and Picasa whatever that is.

I was going to suggest he use nLite - http://www.nliteos.com/ - to slipstream SP2 into his original XP, thus creating a new boot disc. This assumes his install disc is SP1. If it's SP2, then no problem. Sounds like you may have an easier way than slipstreaming.......

Tammy said:
I was going to suggest he use nLite - http://www.nliteos.com/ - to slipstream SP2 into his original XP, thus creating a new boot disc. This assumes his install disc is SP1. If it's SP2, then no problem. Sounds like you may have an easier way than slipstreaming.......

Could someone explain this a little better. I have XP Pro sp1 but would like to have the install disc with sp2. So I can install sp2 at time of setup. Is this possible. If so can someone tell me how to do it.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back