can I share my verizon broadband (aircard) connection? so far have not been able to

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumtrucker

i have XPC computer in my 18 wheeler and use Verizon broadband PCMCIA card to access internet. i am trying to share connection using Linksys WAP. I have run network wizard for 'my computer directly accesses the internet and other computers connect through it'. I can access the network but not access the internet. I don't see the Vz software even trying to uplink when I try accessing internet from wifi connected device. Am I beating a dead horse? Does Verizon prevent sharing somehow?

Another option for me might be accessing wifi connection on the road and sharing the resulting connection (via LAN eternet cable). Can that be done? My main goal is to update my Tivo box over the internet.

i tried real hard to get needed info in first post

using PCMCIA card in my computer. Not cable modem. Not DSL.

Am I mistaken in thinking that a router is for use with device that can be hard wire connected directly to it?????? (i.e. cable modem, DSL) ??????? Then ALL computers access internet through the router. At least that's how my house setup is.

In my truck, my computer accesses the internet with (pay attention please), a PCMCIA card. My house used to be this way and we used an access point and set up computer to share connection.

Depending who/what you you want to share internet with, there are 2 ways:
Verizon -> wireless router -> wireless card in PC1/wireless card in PC2/ etc. or hardwired to PC1/PC2/etc.
You'd need to change your current PCMCIA card for a wireless access card.

Verizon -> PCMCIA card -> IIS (Internet sharing) in your PC, use a crossover cable to other user's PC.
Limitation: only 1 extra user, and your PC must then be switched on!

drumtrucker said:
I have run network wizard for 'my computer directly accesses the internet and other computers connect through it'. I can access the network but not access the internet. I don't see the Vz software even trying to uplink when I try accessing internet from wifi connected device. Am I beating a dead horse? Does Verizon prevent sharing somehow?
Yes, this can be done and should work. Are you sure you specified the correct connection in the wizard where you were asked which one you want to share? You don't have to use any Verizon software on the other computer. Create the connection the machine that is doing the sharing. All other computers should be set to use a (W)LAN connection and obtain all settings automatically.

Another option for me might be accessing wifi connection on the road and sharing the resulting connection (via LAN eternet cable). Can that be done? My main goal is to update my Tivo box over the internet.

You can share any connection anywhere unless Verizon has replaced some core Windows networking components.

It is working but not absolutely sure how...

I have succeeded in getting my Tivo to update when connected to internet via Verizon PCMCIA air card. I have a Tivo branded wifi adapter connected to my Tivo box and it is P2P connected via another wifi adapter plugged into my computer. After I ran networking wizard and told it my computer connects to internet and other computers connect via it, voila, it started working, yea!

I also have a ethernet cable between Tivo and computer and it thinks it is connected that way, but it is not a crossover cable, so I don't think it is actually communicating over it. I am considering trying a crossover cable and eliminating wifi p2p connection.

Steve B

connected Tivo via crossover ethernet cable and

connection works most of the time.

but for some unknown reason, I occassionally have to rerun network wizard to get everything working, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back