Can I upgrade a Fujitsu c600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm Steve. I'm currently living in Japan, and am not a very good Japanese reader... so appologies for the rather simple questions.

I've acquired (someone threw it out! honesly!) a Fujitsu FMV C-600 box. It's got a 1.7 GHZ Celron CPU (SL68C, 1.7GHz/128/400/1.75) and otherwise works (after a little bit of fixing here & there). I'd really like to upgrade the CPU, and have been eyeing a 2.4GHz Celron - though I can't quite make out the actual CPU spec's through the shop window other than it's a 400 MHz FSB. The questions I have are:

1) Can I simlpy plug & play with a similar FSB CPU and expect it to work ? eg. replace the above Celeron 1.7 GHz with a 2.4 GHz version having the same FSB speed. Or do I also need to consider the voltage support, Max. temp. (it's rather hot over here!)

2) The M/b in this case is a Gigabyte OEM version - KBG2 rev. 1.1 ... sadly I've only so far found instances of this m/b in Italy & Germany as well as Japan, and Gigabyte's site makes no mention of it... so I'm stuck when it comes to whether or not I can upgrade. Is the CPU plug & play replacement going to be dictated by the motherboard (assuming FSB is the same) or by the BIOS... ? (as an aside the M/b takes PC2100 memory... if that helps).

3) The Manufacturer's web site, however does say that there are two versions of the same PC produced with a Pentium 4 2A GHz and P4 2.40 GHz processor (though doesn't say what version of processor):

http://www.fmworld.net/biz/fmv/product/hard/vdt0211/custom_c.html

If FSB is the all important factor, then I could even upgrade to 2.8 GHz... what's your view/opinion... should I take a step into the unknown & simply try it ?

Edit: Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

hmm.. i'm not too familiar with the fujitsu c600 but i'm guessing its a laptop correct?

The main thing as far as i know about changing processors is to look at the Socket type or Pin type.. after all, a 487pin CPU can't fitt into a socket with 775 pins get the idea?

You can try finding out a bit more about your hardware by using a hardware reader like SIW (if you're running windows) or Everest Home etc. Then you can look at what processors are compatible and which ones you can choose from.

Hi, thanks for the really quick reply.

The Fujitsu FMV C-600 is a desktop PC, though uses the Celeron processor. The box casing is rather slim, "Space-saving type"... but that's an aside (except for the fact that I'm a bit concerned about thermal issues should I go ahead with the upgrade).

I didn't know about either Everest nor SIW - thanks. The former is no longer available though, the latter however doesn't advise upgrade path, but is never-the-less useful in what it offers.. thanks.

Steve

Upgade complete to 2.7GHz

I couldn't find a 2.8GHz in the local junk shops, though managed to find a reasonably priced 2.7GHz which worked a treat. Along with a 512 MB PC2100 card I've got a reasonably useable machine. The only issue I need to sort out now is overheating. I may daisy chain it along to my other boxes' water cooler, but for now I'll leave it with th case off and a simple desk fan keeping the airflow going.

Thanks.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back