Can I upgrade my P2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there...
I ve got a Dell optiplex Gx1 system with a p2 400Mhz processor
system Information. Im a novice but I get the urge to upgrade it to a faster P3 processor..could someone please advise me is this is possible and what specs should i look out for when purchasing a p3 processor? The more info the better as i`m completely new to this.
Thanks
T

System chip set Intel 440BX PIIX4e
Data bus width 64 bits
Address bus width 32 bits
DMA channels
seven
Timers three
Interrupt levels 15
Flash EPROM (BIOS) 2 Mb
BIOS source Dell
NIC controller chip optional integrated 3Com® PCI 3C905B
LAN NIC, operating at 10 or 100 Mbps
I/O controller chip National PC87309

(more info at http://www.jklmicro.com/images/products/OptiplexGX1.PDF#search=%22Dell%20optiplex%20Gx1%22 )

Yes, you can put any Slot 1 P3/Celeron in there. 133MHz FSB CPUs will run at 100MHz (1/4 slower).

You will not be able to put any tualatin-based CPU in that system unless you get a slotket, but any coppermine-core or mendocino-core would operate just great.

If you are really lucky, you can get your hands on a socket or slot coppermine p3 1000 with a 100MHz FSB. That'll give you a 1GHz machine, though I wouldn't spend more than $100 on it since the machine itself is so old.

Often a BIOS that old will not be able to recognize the CPUs properly. Don't worry. So long as it is operating at the proper frequency and the board is able to deliver the lower voltage of the P3, it will work fine.

thnx

thanks..thats encouraging..i was just having a look on ebay and saw this one
Intel PIII

Slot 1 Processor 1GHz (1000MHz)

1000/256/133/1.7V S1

SL47S

With

FOXCONN Heatsink (P/N: 210720-001 B)

will it work? and if if it does will it be at 600 mhz as is is a 133.
Thanks a lot.

Provided your board can supply ~1.7V, it should run fine, but yes, it will be operating at 600MHz instead of 1000

You may be better off looking for a 600MHz or 900MHz Coppermine-based Celeron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back