Can I use an LCD TV as a Monitor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

I want a really large monitor upto 40 inch if possible for my computer and applications.

The LCD monitors that come with computers are much smaller and extremely expensive if I want to go over 24 inch.

How do I resolve this problem ?

(1) Someone suggested to use an LCD TV as a monitor. Is this possible ?

(2) If possible, what other hardware or software do I need to use TV as a monitor ?

(3) What are the drawbacks of using LCD TV as a monitor except that I can not use it as TV which I don't care.

(4) I also like to have multimonitors for my applications. Can I do that if I was to use LCD TVs as monitors ? I mean using more than one TV as a monitors attached to one CPU ?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

First of all robertq,
you need a great video card. What is a great card? What card are you using?

Sorry, I have it posted below.

Tmagic650 said:
First of all robertq,
you need a great video card. What is a great card? What card are you using?

256 MB PCIe X 16 NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT with TV out & Dual DVI.

Is that good enough ? If not can you suggest one ?

Thanks

There are a bunch of large LCD TVs out there that have a Sub D (actually it's D-Sub), DVI, and/or HDMI connectors.

The D-Sub is the standard connection on a CRT monitor and on many LCD monitors, so chances are that would work with your video card, and you would not need extra software other than it's driver to make it work. The only problem is that D-Sub offers the "least" quality picture in these three formats.

DVI is the standard connector on most video cards today but there are several types of DVI connectors and chances are your new HD TV will not have one or will not have exactly the same one your video card has. I just don't know if there will be compatibility issues or what if the DVI connectors aren't exactly the same.

HDMI is the standard connector on most HD TVs, so you will need to get some sort of converter dongle to go from DVI to HDMI to have any chance to make it work. Again I don't know the details. I do know that my DVR is HDMI while my TV is DVI and the converter dongle was less than $20.00.

I'm sure a video geek will be by any second to clarify things.

Cinders said:
There are a bunch of large LCD TVs out there that have a Sub D, DVI, and/or HDMI connectors.

The Sub D is the standard connection on a CRT monitor and on many LCD monitors, so chances are that would work with your video card, and you would not need extra software other than it's driver to make it work. The only problem is that Sub D offers the "least" quality picture in these three formats.

DVI is the standard connector on most video cards today but there are several types of DVI connectors and chances are your new HD TV will not have one or will not have exactly the same one your video card has. I just don't know if there will be compatibility issues or what if the DVI connectors aren't exactly the same.

HDMI is the standard connector on most HD TVs, so you will need to get some sort of converter dongle to go from DVI to HDMI to have any chance to make it work. Again I don't know the details. I do know that my DVR is HDMI while my TV is DVI and the converter dongle was less than $20.00.

I'm sure a video geek will be by any second to clarify things.

Hey Clinders,

Very helpful waht you described.

Hope some video geek would clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back