Can I use DDR ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have 256mb of SDRAM PC133 on my machine. I was wondering if I am able to put in a stick of 256mb DDRRAM as well or are the two different kinds of ram incompatible? If so can I replace the SDRAM with two sticks of DDRRAM instead? I am not sure what motherboards support DDRRAM and if I can use it on my computer or not. Is there a good website that explains all of this?

Thanks.

We can't give you any advice if you don't supply us at least with the type/model of motherboard you have.

There are a few boards that can use either SDRam or DDRam seperatly, such as ASrock K7VT2, ECS K7S5A, Asus A7A266.

Yup, at best you can take out your SDRAM and put in DDRAM if your mobo has both types of slots.

Didou,
The motherboard is a Gigabyte but I am not sure what model exactly as I am currently at work. It has a Pentium 4 1.6ghz cpu if that gives you an idea.

Nodsu,
You say that I can use ddram if my Mobo has both types of slots???? I did not know that ddram used a different type of slot to sdram. I thought the only difference was the data transfer rate. Can someone elaborate on this?

Thanks.

You can use DDR ram on your mobo, but your best to take out your sd-ram first, it could slow your DDR down.

DDR is 184 pin. SDR is 168 pins. For that reason, they each fit into different slots.

As some have pointed out, some boards support SDR and DDR, but there are different slots for each memory type and they cannot be used together simulataneously.

Okay so If I look at my board and it only has the one size slot then I can only use SDram? But if it has two different sized slots then I can use DDrram also?

I think from memory using a system info tool I only have two memory slots on my board anyway. Therefore I am stuck with Sdram I suppose.

The slots look very similar. visibly the main difference is that SDRAM has 2 notches, at about half way and three quarters of the way along it, and DDR has just one notch which is slightly off centre.

Pretty much it comes down to this:
1. You cannot use SDRAM and DDR at the same time.
2. You cannot use DDR if it doesnt' fit.
3. You cannot use SDRAM if it doesn't fit.
4. You cannot use SDRAM and DDR at the same time.

You should be able to figure it out from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back