can my comp have a graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

droppin88

sorry if there was already a post about this question, but i did look all over and found nothing. But i have a hp pavilion model type 533w. And i've been looking to see if i can buy a graphics card for my computer as an upgrade. But when i go online I dont understand what they mean by all this talk,such as Video, Integrated, PCI express, AGP, and so on. I'm basically a newer person tryin to understand computers and was wondering if anyone could help me find out if i can get "ANY!" graphics card to help me play new aged games because all this new technology. If so my e-mail is droppin88@msn.com , would be MUCH APPRECIATED.

heres my specs

CPU= Intel(R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.00GHz pentium 4 CPU speed = 2.0GHz RAM = 512mb Operating system = windows xp home edition (build 2600) Video Card = Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics Graphics Controller = Intel(R) 82845G/GL chip Video card driver= directX 9 driver number is 6.13.1.3119 Sound Card = Realtek AC' 97 Audio Hard drive = 60 GB CD= COMBI RW 16X10/DVD I'm Hoping this will help u decide but if not just gimme a holler and i'll send you whatever else u need to know. I've been told that my comp only can have PCI video cards......whatever that is. Once again thanks to anyone who can help me find out if i can have a graphics card in my comp.

Alright, you definately need a PCI graphics card. I'm not the authority on those though, but I'll ask one of my friends. I'll post again soon. Hold on.

Well, I wasn't able to get in touch with him. I guess you'll have to just wait until someone else comes along. Good Luck!

SO THERES SOME SORT OF HOPE!? Cause it would be nice to have better graphics so i can try to play some newer aged games. Is PCI graphics cards any good? if so, whats one of the best i can buy that would fit my needs? Much appreciated by the way for finding that out.

It all depends really on what games it is you are wanting to play. If your games are a few years old, then yes, a new PCI graphics card would give you a noticable difference in performance compared to what you are using now.

If the games you are wanting to play are relatively new, I wouldn't really recommend spending any money on a PCI graphics card. Your money would be better spent saving up for a complete upgrade to your system.

You can get a PCI Nvidia FX5500 (you might find a FX5700 if you're lucky?) or a ATI Radeon 9250, neither of these will cost you much more than a game and will spank your integrated Intel solution with a wooden paddle until it squeals.
I'd seriously look at upgrading the entire system but this is probably out of your budget.

would you recommend a 256mb or a 128mb card? Or will these even fit in my comp? I can play battlefield 1942 without a card pretty good as long as i turn down the quality, do you think buying a card would help run it a little better? So i look for regular PCI right? not PCI xpress?.

Yeah, just PCI. You probably want a 256MB card, but make sure it runs at least at 128-bit, or 256-bit. 64-bit is too slow! Good Luck!

MUCH APPRECIATED. I've been trying so long(probably a month or two) to find out if i can have or handle one and now i know. Thanks for the help everyone who told me what to get. I know a good deal about computers, would you say someone like me would have a hard time putting the card in or should i have someone advanced to do this?

ALSO, what else do i need to get with the card? i've heard something about a power cooling fan or something, but i think thats with agp or somethin?

All you need it the card. And all you have to do to install it is slide it in, and install the software. Simple as pie. Good Luck Though! Lol.

ONE MORE QUESTION. ahha. Which would be better?.... ati radeon 9250 or the nvidia fx 5500? Or would you prefer something else?

I'd recommend the FX5700LE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=14-139-166&depa=1

Or a 9600 PCI if you can find one.

As for how to install it, it varies from motherboard to motherboard but the process usually goes something like this:

1. Boot into safe mode, go into the device manager and find the onboard graphics drivers. Delete them.
2. Shut off computer, and boot up into bios, and find your settings for "init boot display" and switch from onboard to PCI.
3. Shut down computer, install new card. Plug monitor into new card.
4. Boot up and install new drivers for new card when prompted by windows.

Good luck!

Anyone know if theres a PCI graphics card out there that can handle games like battlefield 1942? If so where can i get one. Also what is the fastest PCI graphics card out there. MUCH APPRECIATED.

I think the current best pci cards are the geforce 6200 pci cards.

There are a few pci geforce 6200 card available, but it seems all have the 64bit memory interface which limits their performance somewhat(a regular 128bit 6200 would be better, if it existed in pci form.)
http://www.chumbo.com/Info.aspx?id=304966
http://www.chumbo.com/Info.aspx?id=322418
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=190709

Edit: I'd go for a 6200 pci even if it's a 64bit after looking at this benchmark.
It's comparing an agp 5500 to a agp 6200 64bit, but the peformance difference between the two should be similar for pci.
http://www.digital-daily.com/video/nv-gf6200agp-roundup/index02.htm
The 6200 64 bit(all models shown) look a lot better than the 5500 and 5200 in that benchmark.

Apparantly the 64bit interface doesn't limit the 6200 as much as I had thought it would, since it blows the 5500 out of the water, so to speak.

with this card in my computer, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1339387&CatId=1603 Will this help play Battlefield 1942 better or actually be able to play the game on low settings. I can play the game right now if the video settings is turned down low, But when I get around a lot of people it lags pretty bad. Also how do I make sure the card fits my computer properly. Also what all plugs into the graphics card? Just the monitor or is it more than that?

The GeForce FX 5200 is too low and is not supported by BF2. While it might work, it is unlikely you will be happy with the result. The lowest supported Nvidia card is the GeForce FX 5700.

Only the monitor plugs into that particular graphics cards, its the same for most PCI and AGP cards.

One thing though, I would definately recommend the 6200 for you. That's pretty much the best you can get for a PCI card and is much faster than the 5200 you were looking at.

dang! as much as these people talk about this graphics card, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139166 I think I just might have to go with this one because I'm mostly looking for improvments on games like battlefield 1942, and people say they run battlefield 2 on medium settings! Thanks for the help on that one Akifuddin! So you guys think a rookie (me), can handle installing the card for my computer or do you think I should have a pro do it? Can this card, which is 128mb, handle more than some 256mb cards? And whats all this talk about overclocking......and can I do that safely to this card or computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back