Can my wireless network be the reason for both computers freezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseypeach

Hello all!

I am new here to the forum and I did read the faq and etiquette stuff. I did also do a few different searches to see if anyone else had posted a similar problem but unfortunately found none.

I have had my Linksys wireless g card since August. It really never got a work out until after September though because I was barely using the laptop then. (a note: I have all Linksys equipment)

I am now running my Dell Latitude C810 laptop and my home built from many parts computer running on the linksys network. Lately I have noticed that my mouse freezes while I am on the internet via the laptop but if I disconnect my wireless card the mouse pops back into motion and everything is cool. Well not too long after this started, my desktop totally froze everytime my AV and Windows Defender would try to access the internet.

Is is possible something in my network is causing this?

I have also had the interesting problem of my desktop (which is wired to the router) is jumping on the wireless network instead. I have limited (okay, VERY limited) network experience.

Any help would be much 'preciated. Thanks!

>I have also had the interesting problem of my desktop (which is wired to the router)
> is jumping on the wireless network instead.

if it's connected to the same router that supports the WiFi, then this is normal.

To your question re active wireless leading to a freeze; YES.
get the make/model/version numbers for your Linksys (likely WRT54G)
as well as the same info for your wireless adaptors in all systems.

1) get the lates firmware for the router and update it
2) do likewise for each system.

also make sure you are current with Microsoft Updates for all systems.

Hello again!

Well I haven't had anymore problems with the freezing (I have downloaded all updated drivers) but I wanted to ask you about the jumping to wireless problem. Is there a way to force my desktop to use the wired connection? I want my d/l speed increased on that machine and the only way to do that is to get it back to the wired connection. Thanks ahead for any advice.

I think this was answered in another thread, but the solution is to DISABLE
the wireless device. You should then be able to use
run->cmd /k ipconfig /release
followed by ipconfig /renew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back