Can no paging file cause programs to minimize by themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foycur

I tried fiddling with my paging file when I was trying to get an older program to run for my son. I actually turned it off and forgot to turn it back on. Lately, a lot of the programs I run have been minimizing themselves in the middle of running. Could this be the problem? I initially thought it was due to some new HP AIO software I installed for my new fax/copier/printer. does it make more sense to allow the computer to see how much paging file size it needs, or set it to a specific amount?

I`m not sure what the effect of turning the page file off would be.

The correct setting for the page file is 1.5x the ammount of ram in your system.

I.E 512mb ram = 768mb pagefile size.

Regards Howard :)

Negative

Turning your pagefile off should have no immediate affect on programs minimizing. I would recommend running Micro$oft's new AntiSpyware prog in conjunction with SpyBot S&D to root out another cause.

I also agree with Howard as to the size of the page file (1.5XActual RAM: if necessary), some users with HUGE ram installed 2+ Gigabytes of memory don't even use the pagefile function built into Windows.

Hope this helps,

C0d3Warr10r

Big Blue:
Asus P4P800 I865PE
P4 2.8GHz 800MHz
2048MB KingMax PC-3200
Maxtor DiamondMax 9 /160GB /7200RPM /8MB Cache
ATI Radeon X800 Pro
Enermax 420W PSU
Aspire X-Dreamer II
Lite-On 12X DVD+/-RW
Sony 48X CD-RW
Samsung SyncMaster 997DF 19" CRT
3DMark03 Score: 10,035

Some programs like Photoshop require a pagefile, regardless of how much RAM you have.
If you have 2 harddisks, set the Virtual Memory (=pagefile) to fixed 10MB on the partition where Windows is installed. Put the rest somewhere on the (less used anyway) second harddisk, also in a fixed size (min = max size).

XP and the like will page no matter what you set it to. You just don't see the pf anywhere on your drive. Let it have its page file.
As well, some apps are made to use a pf no matter what, and if they don't see one, they will abort on their own or just lock up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back