Can not Start Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am new to this community and I have a Dell Dimension Desktop.
Last week, I received the dreaded "BSOD" while attempting to start Windows XP (SP2).
I'm by no means an expert ...
After lots of rebooting, I wish to reformat and re-load Windows XP (I have the CD from the manufacturer). - I have gone into my BIOS and selected the boot from CD option only and inserted the CD.
Here's the problem - I am unable to boot from the CD drive. I receive the message "No Bootable Devices-strike F1 To Reboot F2 For Setup." I can not boot from my secondary DVD/RW drive either.
I purchased a new Hard Disk (foolishly, but returnable) in a meager attempt to maybe get lucky and fix the issue. It revealed the same message "No Bootable Devices ..."

I used to be able to log into Safe Mode (with networking, command prompt, etc.) but no longer can... It seems the system gets stuck on System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys

Is there anything I can do to recover/reformat or should I just buy a new PC?

welcome to TS

perhaps you have hardware problem on your hands. assuming that there is nothing wrong with your windows XP cd, it sounds like you have a hardware problem. assuming your original harddrive is still working fine, you should be able to take that out and hook it up to a working machine to save your data.

my next step would be to swap out parts and see if that changes anything (starting with the RAM), but if you have no spares i'm sure a local PC repair shop or nerdy friend would

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back