Can someone help, I can't access shared files on my home network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to solve this for a little while by reading posts in this forum and learn quite a lot on setting up the home network. Unfortunately, the problem still there and appreciate any help I can get to solve it. Thanks in advance.

Here's the details of my issue:

I am using a broadband modem router to connect my three PCs (all running XP Pro) and internet.

I can:
  • access the internet on the three PCs (namely PC_A, PC_B & PC_C);
  • see all three computers in the same Workgroup;
  • access the printers on PC_A from PC_B & PC_C

But I can't access the PC_A's shared folder from PC_B & PC_C, keep having an error message about not having permission to access the folder, to complicate the matter, I can access the PC_B's shared folder from PC_A.

I've checked:
  • Computer name of each PC is ok;
  • Workgroup of each PC is ok;
  • IP addresses of each PC is ok;
  • Network communication is ok, I can ping each PC by its IP address;
  • Printer & File Sharing service is running on each PC;
  • All PCs are using XP Simple File Sharing;
  • Guest account on each PC is active, checked by "net user guest" &
  • I have turned off the Zonealarm on each PC.

Any help is appreciated.

Did you turn of XP firewall on all PCs?

Are the PC's in NTFS?

I think two of the PCs are fighting to act as host. So one will "lose" the fight and mess up. Redo all the sharing from scratch. Make one host and 2 clients in XP.

Check Security/Permissions on PC_A's share

Check Security/Permissions on PC_A's share. Is it the same as the other two computers?

:confused: The problem still here. I've checked all the things suggested in the guide recomended by Backhertz.

Fishookz, all my PCs are in NTFS. How do I make one host and 2 clients in XP?

fishhookz said:
Did you turn of XP firewall on all PCs?

Are the PC's in NTFS?

I think two of the PCs are fighting to act as host. So one will "lose" the fight and mess up. Redo all the sharing from scratch. Make one host and 2 clients in XP.

remove auto negotiate make all nic cards same speed full or half duplex
other than that little glichy thing it's sounds like permissions security settings are messed up
If you can do it (I do) all pc's should have 1 admin name and the same password
just don't use admin as administation name make it unique.
check http://msdn.microsoft.com/ for more stuff
this is edited messed up on link

Similar problem

FWIW, I had a quite similar problem that I finally figured out for myself. However, I had created a thread on another tech web site. http://forums.techguy.org/t333926.html you might want to go over there and read all of the tips that were sent to me to help you get a better focus. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back