Can someone help me find a .avi codec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe wm11 comes with the ability to play avi's built in or at least mine did and I can play avi's without needing any add-ons or plug-ins but if it helps, here are a couple of codec pacs that are freeware at the majorgeeks.com download page shown at the very bottom of todays' page...

Vista Codec Package 4.5.2 Final [ 21.6 Mb | Freeware | NT/200x/XP/Vista]
Compiles the best codecs from all the big name codec packs.

Vista Codec x64 Components 1.3.3 Final [ 4.83 Mb | Freeware | Vista64]
Compiles the best x64 codecs.

PS. You can also check right here at TechSpot by looking up at the top of these pages under 'downloads' and then uder 'Audio/Video' and then under 'subcategories', you will find some codec downloads.

Best to you...

Hum.. You probably do not quite understand what codecs are.

First, WMP opens .AVI files out of the box. You need a codec for the video/audio streams that are inside the .AVI file. Think of .AVI as a ZIP or a RAR file that can contain many kinds of stuff.

Second, "any" codec would be totally useless. You need a specific codec for a specific audio/video stream. If you have an AVI file and you have no idea which codec it needs, download a program called GSpot - it will tell you what codecs are needed for an AVI file.

The most common additional codecs to install are DivX and XviD for video and AC3 for audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back