can someone tell me the diffence between these 2 video cards x1800xt's

Status
Not open for further replies.

frost1977

SAPPHIRE 100154L Radeon X1800XT

SAPPHIRE 100154SR Radeon X1800XT

the numbers on the cards clock speed, mem etc are the same.

it has some diffrences in the text descriptions at NewEgg.com

SAPPHIRE 100154SR Radeon X1800XT :---
sys reqs:
PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard (PCI-E version) Connection to the system power supply is required. The power supply should have a specialized 12V graphics card power connector 350-Watt power supply or greater recommended Intel Pentium 4/III, AMD Athlon 64/K7/ Athlon XP 256 MB system memory or more for better performance Installation software requires CD-ROM drive DVD playback requires DVD drive

Feats:
Hydravision 3 HDTV Compatible (YPbPr) SuperAA Shader Model 3.0 Single slot cooling solution FullStream (Video-deblocking) - Real, divX, WM9

the other card
SAPPHIRE 100154L Radeon X1800XT

sys reqs:
PCI Express® based PC is required with one x16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard. Connection to the system power supply is required (Adapter Included). 450-Watt power supply or greater recommended (assumes fully loaded system) 512MB of System Memory Installation software requires CD-ROM drive DVD playback requires DVD drive and decoder software (not included

Feats:
Ring Bus Memory Controller Ultra-Threaded Shader Engine Avivo™ Video and Display Platform CrossFire™ Ready dual-link DVI Shader Model 3.0 SuperAA HDTV Compatible (YPbPr

any help here is apreceated, i plan to order tonight or tomorrow.
i am trying to read off a very bad screen hehe as my current video card is mostl shot.

They are basically the same card, just two slightly different models. Same everything.

The $269 "SR" is the software bundle version. For $20 more, you get Power Director Pro 3.0, Power DVD and a couple other CD's of "lite" versions of software.

The $249 "L" model is just the X1800XT with the basic driver CD. i.e.. you'll need to provide your own DiVx and MPG4/DVD decoder from somewhere else not be able to watch DVD's with it.

If you already have WinDVD or other DVD software, I'd just save the $20 and get the $249 version. It's basically a bundle difference, but worth it for folks that don't already have DVD software.

It looks to me like the first one is pci-e only whereas the second one is sli.

They are both pci-e but the second one can be connected to another gfx card in the sli configuration.

It you look at pics of them the first one wont have an edge connector on the top whereas the second one will(for sli).

k , the main thing i zoned in on was this

Hydravision 3 HDTV Compatible

VS.

Ring Bus Memory Controller Ultra-Threaded Shader Engine Avivo

like one my do better at shading or something.

Negative. Both cards have the same featureset and are IDENTICAL cards in every way. It's simply the software bundle included.

As you can see here:
100154SR:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...6MB+GDDR3+PCI+Express+x16+Video+Card+-+Retail

100154L:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...6MB+GDDR3+PCI+Express+x16+Video+Card+-+Retail

They both include an HDTV cable for the TV-Out port.. as well as are Hydravision 3 compatible, both have dual-DVI, Ring-Bus Controller, AVIVO chip, etc.etc. These are all standard features of the R-chipset core.

thanks that helps,
i will go with the cheeper card.

shoulld be a vast improvement
a dying 9800pro is my current card. hehe

I hope you plan also a motherboard upgrade, and forgive me if I missed this.

The 9800 Pro is an AGP videocard, whereas these are PCI-Express. While AGP mainboards have PCI slots, these are NOT the same as PCI-Express. Only newer, current generation mainboards have PCI-Expressx16 slots, so you'll 99% likely need a whole new motherboard... and possibly CPU and/or memory as well in order to upgrade AGP to a PCI-Express system.

Lastly, ensure you have adequate power. These Radeon X-series cards are very, very power hungry. I'd recommend a quality, name-brand 400W PSU or better power supply with 19-22A on the 12v rail if you want stability.

rik said:
It looks to me like the first one is pci-e only whereas the second one is sli.

They are both pci-e but the second one can be connected to another gfx card in the sli configuration.

It you look at pics of them the first one wont have an edge connector on the top whereas the second one will(for sli).

The sli thing is only for nvidia cards. CrossFire (hehehe) is for dual- ATI cards.

Sharkfood said:
I hope you plan also a motherboard upgrade, and forgive me if I missed this.

The 9800 Pro is an AGP videocard, whereas these are PCI-Express. While AGP mainboards have PCI slots, these are NOT the same as PCI-Express. Only newer, current generation mainboards have PCI-Expressx16 slots, so you'll 99% likely need a whole new motherboard... and possibly CPU and/or memory as well in order to upgrade AGP to a PCI-Express system.

Lastly, ensure you have adequate power. These Radeon X-series cards are very, very power hungry. I'd recommend a quality, name-brand 400W PSU or better power supply with 19-22A on the 12v rail if you want stability.

New motherboard (ga-8I945g-pro) pci-ex16 MB was on its way before i looked at the cards. I have been working with my local PC store, I could just get the videocard cheeper than he could.. and just wanted to besure what i was getting on the 2 diffrent cards.

already have a 450-watt pwr supply installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back