Can`t do any Windows updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewan52

Hello everyone: for some time now I have been unable to do manual or auto microsoft updates.
When I attempt to access the update site via the web I get a message that the site is designed for windows based systems only and I should visit the MAC site for further information.
This implies that my system is being seen as a non valid XP Operating system which of course it is.
Called Microsoft and their canned answer was to uninstall WINXP and reinstall which I have done including SP2 with exactly the same results. I have tried a great number of tricks including several free and paid versions of Spyware. Have tried doing an SFC scan now etc. etc. with no luck.
I have no problems getting into the web or communicating wirelessly or in fact using the laptop as is. I really don't want to low level this system and start from scratch unless I absolutely have to.

ANY IDEAS ! ! !
Thx sincerely.

Thank-you for this, I have always had a hunch that the problem might be in the browser but wasn't too sure just how to tell. I will look into this and will get back to you one way or the other.
Regards, Eric.

Problem with accessing Windows Update site.

I promised to get back to you with the results of your suggestion www.fiddlertool.com

Everything worked just fine. I downloaded the registry write from the site for my I.E. 6.0 and immediately
Windows Update came alive again. I cannot tell you how long I have fought with this problem including suggestions all over the map from Microsoft.

Thanks so very much for this tip which was right on the mark.

Sincere best Regards,

Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back