can win-xp be un-installed completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidabiri

hi folks,
can someone please tell me if win-xp can be installed completely? i've never had so much problem with os before. win-98-se ran so smoothly. is there a way to completely un-install it? and install win-98-se? please.

win-xp uninstall

thanks!
i'm going to give that a try. but i have heard that it may not let you do it. anyway, i'll try it. how about the command "osuninst"? what would that do? i know this will take you back the previous os. but if there were not any previous os, then would this command work? or should i just do a format?

Who led you to believe that XP won't allow this ? ?
I've never heard of that. Just use your Win98 boot disk, FDisk and Format. make sure you enable large disk support, re-boot with the bootdisk and the Win98 cd in and choose #2 "start with CDRom support".
At the a: prompt type E: and hit enter.
At the E: prompt type setup and hit enter.

Before you do this i would collect Win98 drivers for all your hardware.

patio. :cool:

thanks.

thanks for your help.

i will try that. there's one problem though. i installed an 80-gig western digital hard drive before installing win-xp on this new machine (asus p5rd1-v, pent. 4). when i was fdisking, it showed up as a 32-gig hard drive. that's why i am trying to start over again. is there anyway to tell this so called "intelligent machine" that the hard drive is 80 not 32? please let me know.

patio said:
Who led you to believe that XP won't allow this ? ?
I've never heard of that. Just use your Win98 boot disk, FDisk and Format. make sure you enable large disk support, re-boot with the bootdisk and the Win98 cd in and choose #2 "start with CDRom support".
At the a: prompt type E: and hit enter.
At the E: prompt type setup and hit enter.

Actually, if you have the boot floppy and CD in the machine, you can just senter 'setup' at the A: prompt, and it should start the install process.

80 g hard drive showing up as 32 g

that part is ok.

there's one problem though. i installed an 80-gig western digital hard drive before installing win-xp on this new machine (asus p5rd1-v, pent. 4). when i was fdisking, it showed up as a 32-gig hard drive. that's why i am trying to start over again. is there anyway to tell this machine the drive is 80g and not 32?

alidabiri said:
that part is ok.

there's one problem though. i installed an 80-gig western digital hard drive before installing win-xp on this new machine (asus p5rd1-v, pent. 4). when i was fdisking, it showed up as a 32-gig hard drive. that's why i am trying to start over again. is there anyway to tell this machine the drive is 80g and not 32?

Go to:http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the new win98 fdisk, I believe it is only the file, so just replace the old fdisk file, on your win98 bootdisk, with this file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back