Can XP retail edition be used as an upgrade for windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardtres

Recently my computer's PSU took a dive and burned out the mobo, possibly more damage has happened I don't know yet. I have an older computer than has windows 98 OS in it, it is an IBM that just has the Restore disk. It is capable of running windows XP. I have an XP retail home version that was used in the computer that just died. Is it possible to use the XP retail version to Upgrade the windows 98 computer. I really don't want to a complete new install because I do have files and games that I would like to keep from the IBM computer.

wizardtres said:
Recently my computer's PSU took a dive and burned out the mobo, possibly more damage has happened I don't know yet. I have an older computer than has windows 98 OS in it, it is an IBM that just has the Restore disk. It is capable of running windows XP. I have an XP retail home version that was used in the computer that just died. Is it possible to use the XP retail version to Upgrade the windows 98 computer. I really don't want to a complete new install because I do have files and games that I would like to keep from the IBM computer.

As long as you meet the minimum sytem requirements, then yes. Here are the requirements (they are very low) copied from Microsoft;

PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*

• Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Top of page
Additional Items or Services Required to Use Certain Windows XP Features
• For Internet access:

• Some Internet functionality may require Internet access, a Microsoft. NET Passport account, and payment of a separate fee to a service provider; local and/or long-distance telephone toll charges may apply

• 14.4 Kbps or higher-speed modem

• For networking:

• Network adapter appropriate for the type of local-area, wide-area, wireless, or home network you wish to connect to, and access to an appropriate network infrastructure; access to third-party networks may require additional charges

• For instant messaging, voice and video conferencing, and application sharing, both parties need:

• Microsoft .NET Passport account and Internet access

• For voice and video conferencing, both parties also need:

• 33.6 Kbps or higher-speed modem, or a network connection

• Microphone and sound card with speakers or headset

• For video conferencing, both parties also need:

• Video conferencing camera

• Windows XP

• For application sharing, both parties also need:

• 33.6 Kbps or higher-speed modem, or a network connection

• Windows XP

• For remote assistance:

• Both parties must be running Windows XP and be connected by a network

• For sound:

• Sound card and speakers or headphones

• For DVD video playback:

• DVD drive and DVD decoder card or DVD decoder software

• 8 MB of video RAM

• For Windows Movie Maker:

• Video capture feature requires appropriate digital or analog video capture device

• 400-MHz or higher processor for digital video camera capture

* Actual requirements will vary based on your system configuration and the applications and features you choose to install. Additional available hard-disk space may be required if you are installing over a network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back