Cannot access Internet but can get e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I maintain a network of six computers. All have Windows XP Professional. We have a DSL line which runs into a Netgear FVS318 router. Four of my computers are having no problems. Two of my computers cannot get onto the Internet. However, they can retrieve their e-mail and I can ping other computers that are part of this network, outside addresses (like www.yahoo.com) and the router. In event viewer on one machine I get Error 1002, the ip address lease 192.168.0.7 for the network card with network address xxxxxxxx has been denied by the dhcp server 192.168.0.1 (The dhcp server sent a dhcpnack message). And on the other machine I only get a warning on event viewer for Error 1003. I have made sure I have the last firmware for my router. I did a system restore to the beginning of this month and the computers got on the Internet for that day. The next day, same problem all over again. I have downloaded through another computer Microsoft Antispyware and Spy Sweeper. Both have not really found anything and have no fixed the problem. There are no conflicts in event viewer. I'm ready to wipe their harddrives and reinstall. I cannot find a minidump directory or any type of files like that. Also if I boot those two machines in safe mode with networking I can get out on the Internet. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

First, thank you for responding to my post. I'm confused. I went to the reviews and read the three reviews listed. However, they were not helpful in solving my problem. We have had this router for a few years now and this is the first time we have had a problem with it, if the problem is with the router. Are you recommending that we change the router out?

no, just fyi, the slow processing speed.

as you have all kinds of 'services' with that box, verify you are not using MAC address filtering/ or ensure that all systems are registered.

I'm not sure what you mean by ensuring that all systems are registered. If you mean that under attached devices in the router's control panel that the two systems are connected, have an ip address and a mac address, then yes, they are all registered.

I do not believe we are using MAC address filtering but then again I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. Under basic settings on the router's control panel, use default address is checked under Router's MAC address.

If I'm not looking under the right sections to answer your questions, please just let me know where the look so I can confirm whether or not these settings you refer to need to be fixed. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back