cannot browse home network through wireless, wired works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I plug in to my router directly I can browse my workgroup, access all shares without a problem. When I disable my onboard LAN card and enable wireless, I can't browse my workgroup or even ping the other computers by name or IP on my network.

I can browse the internet wirelessly, ping the router and the IP and subnet are the same when I'm using wireless or wired connection.

I removed and added client for MS networks, file and print sharing, removed all wireless security from my router and it still does not work. I don't know if its my Dell wireless card or an OS problem and don't know what else to try.

Any ideas?

On the pc that giving you trouble open this:

click on start
click on run
type: cmd
type: route print

See if it can see your network or your router when you connect wired or wireless?

click on start
click on run
type: services.msc
scroll down for wireless zero configuration make sure that's enabled

also look for network connections and make sure that's enabled
also computer browser is enabled
make sure xp firewall (built-in is disabled)

Thanks tipster, but still no go. All of those items are enabled in services. I did route print on using the wired and wireless connections and both provide the same output.

Tried setting my wireless connection to static IP outside the DHCP range of my router, specified the default gateway and still no luck.

Try this don't disable the onboard NIC
Set Auto to full duplex 100
Select Obtain IP first from NIC settings
Connect a Wired Ethernet Cable see if you get connect..
Wait for the Wireless to connect..

Keep the Wired cord connect to the PC until the Wireless get connected and wait a few minutes before you unplug the cable.

didn't work with my onboard wireless card, but I went out and bought a wireless USB card and it works fine. I'm guessing there's something wrong with my Dell onboard wireless card.

Oh you have DELL you never told me that? How old is the laptop? Anyway you got it working with the USB NIC...

It's an Inpiron 8500, about 4 or 5 years old. I bought the onboard mini-PCI wireless NIC about a year ago or so. I'm just completely stumped as to why I have IP connectivity wirelessly but just can't view or ping local network resources.

Those mini PCI cards can come out of the laptop and be replaced. It's easy to replace. But you're better off getting PCMICA wireless card which would be faster than what you had in the Mini PCI slot.

in the control panel
goto administrator tools
click on local security policy
scroll down the list for network access guest only
change that to classic
Renanme default Guest to another name for security reasons.

Try loging on to the PC using the same login and password or admin account see if you can see the resources. Again it takes time to pull up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back