cannot connect to internet via dsl modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamensterms

i just got a new dsl modem and i have been having some problems with connecting the modem to the computer with the ethernet. as fas as i know i do have all the cables connected correctly and everything is in order in that sense. i think the problem may be...the power light on the modem will not stop blinking green. in the manual is states that this is a sigh of the modem re-booting. and my local area connection keeps connecting and dis-connecting.
any help would be much appreciated.
thank you.

its a ZyXEL Prestige 2602HW modem. and im running XP.
i read the manual and have done all the possible options for my set up.

Hi

When I look up ZyXEL Prestige 2602HW modem on google I get almost all descriptions as a wireless router. Are you sure it's not a router? If it's not, have you connected the dsl data cable to the modem? Connected the ethernet cable to the modem and to a working port on the back of your pc? Is your phone line setup for DSL? Is the phone line hooked up to the dsl data cable? Do you have a dsl filter on all phones, cable boxes, etc. in the house? If it's a wireless router/modem you may need to login to your router to configure the settings. To do that you would:

Press start, run, and type in cmd
In dos type in "ipconfig"
Write down your ip address when it comes up
Go into internet explorer and type in that ip address in the address bar and press enter
It should come up with a Username and Password dialogue box
Type in admin for the username and leave the password blank and press enter
Run the wizard to set up the wireless modem/router

You may need to call ZyXEL Prestige 2602HW modem manufacturers and ask them what ip address you will need to use for the modem/router. You can put that in while you are running the wizard to configure the router.

im pretty sure it is a modem. we just recently signed up for dsl and this is the "modem" they sent us. i have connected all the cables, etc in the ways you asked. except i only have a dsl filter on the phone we are using to connect to the modem. we have another line in the house that shares the same number but has no filter.

i have tried accessing the modem by typing the IP address into IE but because the modem keeps rebooting...my computer cannot access it.

i also keep getting that little pale yellow balloon in the system tray on the task bar saying "local area connection. a network cable is unplugged"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back