Cannot connect to my game servers with my static ip address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fromal

Does anyone here understand static ip address and understand why i can see servers on Counter Strike :Source but i cannot connect to any of them? My interent (firefox) works fine and my Ventrilo (voice communication program) works fine but for some reason i cannot connect to any server in CS:S using the static ip address. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Which static address are you talking about?
The 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xx.xx.xx from your router, or your real IP from your ISP?
The latter should work, the first two won't.

I ordered a static ip address. it was not 192.168.xxx.xxx address, it was a totatlly separate ip address that was given to me by my ISP. to set it up i use my router ip as the default gateway if that helps?

Basically the static ip address is an address that has nothing to do with my router and it is hosted at a totally different place but i connect to it through my router.

I have a static IP. It's assigned by my ISP. Each time I connect to the web, that's the IP I use without even having to think about it.

Check your routers status to see what IP it's using, and check it's config to see what IP you may or may not have told it to use. :)

where in my router settings would i be able to see that my static ip is using my router as a gateway?

Your static IP from your ISP isn't a gateway. It's your routers true IP number.

To be honest, I've never seen a router other than my own where the IP needs to be specifically set. I mentioned it just in case really.

However, Your routers status and diagnostics should be able to tell you what address it's currently using.

Maybe it's just a CS:S thing. Have you tried to release your account? I'm at work right now so I can't give you the exact terms and instructions but will to outline it.

First you need the Game serial # for proof of purchase just like the first time you registered with Source. Now right click on the desktop icon/properties (this is where I'm fussy) you have to drill into those menus and find your account. There was a refresh or release option. Select that. Also you'll need to remember your Source user password. (hopefully you wrote that down) or you'll have to wait form them to email you it blah blah blah.
Now all I did was reconnect or go active, again it's in the menu options.
This is the part where you need your password and Serial#.

Worth a try. I had to do this after a server I was on just hung. I exited the server then couldn't log into any server again, even an hour later. It kept coming up "account in use" or "unable to authenticate". Then I struck upon this solution.

cheers.

The way your Original post is titled makes it sound like you've created a server and you are trying to connect to it from the Master Server List for CS:S. Your post however makes it appear you are trying to connect to a server that's creation you had nothing to do with.

Static IP address,
Your ISP has assigned you an IP address that is static, and will never change. However the way IP addressing works is that if you want more than one computer hooked to the line, whether it be a static or dynamic link, you need a router and switch or a combo of the two. An example of a Router/Switch combo would be something like a Linksys. Routers take that public IP address assigned by your ISP and makes it private. By making this address private you now have multiple addresses in the private range to use. Your router assigns you a new Ip address range on your LAN/Private network. This allows mroe than one computer on that single IP address and keeps you hidden from the outside internet. Everyone outside of your router sees just the router as your location, no matter which computer you are on in your house and no matter what your private network topology is. However, this should in no way affect your ability to connect to a server in your game. If you can connect to www.cnn.com then you have all the ground work to connect to a CS:S server, unless you are hosting that server. In this case you will need to set up port forwarding in your router to allow people using the master server list to connect to your server.

edit *

If you are connecting to a server with out using the MSL, and instead using a run command from inside CS:S, make sure you are using the port address in the conenct string.... /connect 205.248.48.6:27890

ok. well im still waiting for my video card to be mailed in so i can play cs:s again and try out the static ip again. once it comes in ill let you guys know if i can connect to a cs:s server with the static ip. And s3xynanigoat, I can connect to www.cnn.com with the static ip so hopefully i can connect to a cs:s server when my video card comes in. ill keep you updated.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back