cannot connect to the network even when network connection shows connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatality

i'm connected to a router. the network connection icons shows that the network is connected, but i cannot connect to the network or the internet. even when i try to ping the default gateway, it says request time out. i tried fixing the winsock and resetting the tcp/ip but still i'm not able to connect to the network. also when i type the ip address and everything else manually the network connection shows connected but only the sent icon blinks and the received icon stays dull. and when i try to obtain ip address automatically. the network connection icon says limited or no connectivity. i have both lan and wireless connection, and this happens for both of them. any suggestions please.

Maybe the router has MAC address filtering turned on?

Can you connect your computer to any other network? What if you hook it directly to the modem (if you have one)?

Disconnect. Remove or disable software. Reinstall. Check your settings using the online manual for your router... most likely your security settings have become scrambled. You might also want to check the router websites for latest firmware.

i checked the router and all the filtering is disabled. i also have other computers connected to the router and they are working well but my laptop is unable to connect.

Do you have any security software on your laptop? If so turn off any firewall, if all you have is the windows firewall that should be Ok.
I am assuming that you have ran the usual scans for virus's and adware/spyware, although to be honest I don't think they would block you connecting to your network, more likely keep you off the internet.

well i have my firewall disabled, but i don't think it has to do something with spyware or other. i was able to connect few hours ago and suddenly i'm not able to connect. i think some of the windows connection files has corrupted, because i can't connect wired or wireless. i tried fixing winsock, tcp/ip, uninstalled and reinstalled all the network cards drivers. did everything i knew of. but still i'm not able to connect. is there anything i'm missing, that i have to do.

We still do not know the brand an model of computer that is plaguing you.
I assume the failure was sudden? Or did it happen after other installations or changes?
Windows issue? One would expect a software problem with the weird problem you describe. Or driver failure. But since you have tried all those, you probably feel comfortable that is not the problem.
Next run Windows XP in R or Repair mode if you have a full version of Windows. Or fun the Service Pack 2 install disk... as it has the ability to patch some things.
Connect to Microsoft via a telephone and modem connection to see if Microsoft of the manufacture scan detects a problem.
Next, reinstall your ethernet setup
Your next step might be to replace your chipset and other relevant drivers. You may be stuck with using a pcmcia cardbus ethernet slot... at least to test. Ethernet components do burn out just like anything else.
Is your laptop of quality, so you can replace the ethernet card?
Finally, I would insert and install a spare hard drive so I could get a clean install of everything related to network connections. That could be the quickest way to test for a hardware problem. Hard drives are as low as $44 with shipping nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back