Cannot Delete File

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with my photos in my documents file when I try to delete copies they keep making more copies and say CANNOT DELETE FILE: CANNOT READ FROM THE SOURCE FILE OR DICE can anyone help me with this problem. Thanks Russ

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you boot into safe mode by tapping the F8 key just before the windows loading screen appears you may be able to delete them, if not post back and we`ll see what else we can come up with.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

You could try closing Explorer in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and File/New Task in Task Manager and type "cmd" for the Dos Prompt. Then you can change directory to where the file is and try deleting it from there. Then when you are done, File/New Task and type "explorer". Assuming you know how to change directory's in DOS of course.

I like to overstate the obvious, but if you have the image open in a viewer such as PhotoShop, you won't be able to delete it. Close all apps and try again to delete it. Your clipboard might be hanging onto the image too. The easiest way to clear the clipboard is to reboot.

I don't understand why it keeps making copies like copy2 or copy3 with no comand or action from me when i delete one it makes another copy it has some copies up to 26
Russ

Have U run checkdisk with the repair option on? It might be a corruption in the MFT and that will be fixed by running checkdisk.

Boot up using a floppy startup disk, find the files, and delete. Worked for me.

You may also want to check the file attributes incase they are read only.

Russ, for Check Disk, open explorer and right click on the concerned drive (where my documents is located) and slect Properties. Select tab Tools and in the field "Error checking" click on "Run now". You might need reboot to allow the disk check to run at startup.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestion I will l not be able to try them till after thanksgiving because the computer with the problem is not at my home. I will have to make a startup floppy and try.
Thanks Rus

Cannot Delete File.

In cases where i cannot delete a file, i usually rename it. especially when i'm trying to install the same program all over again. if that happens to be or not happen to be your case. what you should do like i said, is rename the file. for example (.dll) files could be renamed (.dl) that should remove the icon (dll) from it and it should just be a file with no purpose.BUT! that doesn't mean that you'd be able to remove it still. what you can do is , put it somewhere , that you can remove it from later (desktop) after you restart your computer, the computer won't have any use for it then, but, also, if someone can and does have a simpler way of doing this.by all means follow that instruction.

Try this

lets say yo wanna delete "FileName" folder

1) Start>Run>cmd (dos)
2) Go to where your file or folder is "C:/....user/defailt/desktop"
3) type dir/x to see the short name usually ends with~1
4) type "RMDIR/S FileName~1"
5) press Y for yes
6) Done!!

-Good Luck

*Warning "RMDIR/S" removes the directory and everything in it!*
*Do this at your own risk*

I had the same problem and tried many fixes from the internet with no luck. I finally tried doing this and it worked. Click on start, run, type in winfile then browse to your file and delete it.

Have a file I can't delete, move, or rename...

I love reviving old threads. Anyways, I have a file that mysteriously 'appeared' on my desktop. It has no program association, shows no path in properties, and I can't do a thing to it (cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk).

I am virus/adware free.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this thing? Tried rebooting in safe mode, but the problem persists.

if you're using windows xp, you can check to see if you have the " use simple file sharing" box unchecked in your folder options. if so, when you right click the file you're having trouble with go to security and under your name, check to see if you have all the permissions in the box below. then go to advanced and check permissions again. go through the settings to make sure you have all the power to do as you wish with this file. then, try to erase it. if this doesn't solve your problem , or if it only does it until you restart, it could be that you have a program that has your desktop as a "folder" to save settings or save files etc. you need to check any new programs you have just installed. also, you should try using registry mechanic. it'll get rid of that file if it's not supposed to be there. hope this helps you.

Revive old thread? Why not? The owner of this thread never posted whether they got fixed or not. lol

Otherwise, to Goofy, what is the file name itself? And does it have any extension? I might guess the file is called " ~ ", that is a tilde. Or maybe called "desktop". Or perhaps has no name and just the icon is what you see?

Also, the file may be hidden/system. Maybe it's a system file and you recently choose to show hidden files. Go in My Computer and choose Tools-Folder Options. There are two options to show hidden files, and show protected files. Play with those settings and tell us which ones make, if any, your mystery file appear and disapear.

Otherwise, if you know it shouldn't be there, use a file deleting program which will delete it on startup. It's to late now I can't think of the name of one. Has the word "kill" in it I think. I need to go to bed, big day of food tomorrow!

I'll give it a try!

I'm not at home right now, but at work. But I will let you know how things work out. Thanks for your ideas, I'll try them tonight.

When I chose to not show hidden files in the folder options, the file disappeared from the desktop. But I haven't been doing anything with these settings before today. I have been running this install of XP for about 8 months now. Think it's about time for a format/re-install. Thanks for the input, guys.

There is one normal file on the desktop, and other folders, that is hidden and part of XP, and that is the "desktop" file. You may also have "index.dat". The tilde "~" is often created by Outlook Express.

But ya, it would be handy to know the name of your file, lol.

And also, it may be a bit extreme to reload just because there's a file that won't delete. Does your system have other problems to warrant a reload? Otherwise, killbox and the other tools are really easy to use, assuming your mystery file should be deleted.

Soory not to post earlier. Problem solved. Killbox took care of it, and I have not had any other problems. Thanks to all who posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back