cannot determine partition settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new hard drive and was playing with it to try to copy xp over, and did not want to mess my 1st. drive up.. Trying to copy in xp from my startup disks into the 2nd drive. I know the disks are good, and the Hard drive is ok. What do you think.

Speedo111

The best way to do this is image your drive. I've always used payware programs to do this such as Ghost or True Image (recommended).

Maybe someone can suggest a good, freeware option.

Could you elaborate on the problem(s) you experienced and exactly what it was/wasn't able to do? Also, what version was it?

Rick,
It just says Norton 2003. Whats happening is the 1st. part of the old disk is 5gb's of EISA stuff, which is not being copied over to the new disk. I'm at a point now where my Recovery disk will not load on the new disk. I also tried using Partition Magic. Now it telling me I am missing ntldr when I try booting to the new disk. Thank you for the reply.
Speedo

Partition Magic will NOT produce a working copy of Windows on a new hard drive by migrating. It must be installed the same as any other Windows install. But if you install Windows first, then the migration, the files and programs will work.

And you must use Partition Magic 8.0.
Also good are Acronis, System Commander, and a couple others.

I only have 7.0. Bummer. I am getting deeper and deeper in doggie do.
THX.

Raybay and Rick,
We can close this thread. I decided to cancel the change. I appreciate all your help. THX.
Speedo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back