Cannot format usb drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had my usb damaged at school. It is a sandisk mini cruzer 1gb flash drive. I tried to reformat it but my computer or any other computer at school I try cannot recognise the usb and/or drive and says "specified file does not exist" when I type in "format g:". Does anyone know how I can reformat my usb?

what happens when you plug the USB flash drive into your computer? Does Windows recognise it?

Any error messages? Warnings?

If not, plug it in and then;

Right click on My Computer and go to Manage
Click Disk Management on the left
You should see your drive in the right hand window
Right click it and choose Properties
Choose the Tools tab at the top and hit the Check Now button (under Error-Checking)
Tick BOTH boxes and hit Start

That will start a surface scan of your drive and try to fix any bad sectors.

Once that has finished - go back to the Disk Management window
Right Click your drive and choose Format

OR

If you plug your drive in and Windows does not recognise it - get a new one!

bowler41-If you haven't already, I would search this site on that MiniCruzer you got there. There have many people with that same drive and smaller ones that have had many problems with formatting or the need to format. Fortunatly I have not had the 1st issue with mine, its a 512.

When I plug my usb into the usb port, Its light just glows. With minicruzers and other sandisks, they are meant to flash and then glow. When I turned off my computer, the usb's light was still on. Apart from it glowing, no error message pops up when I plug in the usb.

I tried going to disk management but my computer could not pic up the usb. Any other ideas on how to resolve this problem?

Have you searched this site for information about formatting your drive? I think you will find what you are looking for.

Now if 98 didn't see the drive, there is an HP utility for formatting USB flash drives, do a search on these forums for HP and Sandisk and Format and it will probably come up

I was wondering if anyone knew what this was referring to?

Just search this site for USB drives, flash drives or thumb drives. You should find an abundant amount of post on this issue! Especially for the Mini Cruzer drives. Seems many people here have had very similiar issues as you are having. I dont have the time to search and post the links, but they are here!

Surprised to see some of the more knowledgable members here on that subject have not replied also. I do remember that it seems like people have had this issue after they format that drive though.

Good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back