CanNOT get rid of Zone Alarm and Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.

t13nif

I have performed a clean uninstall of ZA, deleted the registry key and every trace of the program and it still has me on internet "lockdown". My hijack log doesn't appear to show any ZA processes and yet I can't access the net. I also cannot get rid of Norton--I followed the link and used the Norton uninstall program that Real BlackStuff provided the link for and I still have stuff showing up in my log. Please help, I am about to throw my PC out the window.

Attachments

• hijackthis2.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 6
These four entries need removing.

O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe (file missing)

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box, and hit the enter key.

When the services window appears, maximise it.

Find the above entries one at a time, and right click on the entry. if it is running select stop, then select properties, and change the startup type to disabled.

Do this for all four entries. Once you have finished, reboot your computer.

I`m not sure about your Zonealarm problem, but maybe reinstalling Zonealarm, and then uninstalling will resolve that problem.

Regards Howard :) :)

Thanks Howard, i'll give those suggestions a try re. Norton.

Re ZoneAlarm, i have done multiple uninstalls, re-installs, clean uninstalls etc, used KillBox.exe etc. I have been unable to delete 2 critical items "vsdatant.sys" and "C:\WINNT\Internet Logs" even though i am supposed to be able to.

Howard, thanks for the help, however i have already tried that method and every other method on the Zone Alarm forums :S. The instructions indicate to delete the aforementioned files in Safe Mode, however i am still not able to. I do appreciate your time though!

you will also need to search for the name 'symantec' its norton run a search' i can see it in your hjt log.#
have you reinstalled zone alarm and tried to remove it via remove programmes. after that run search for zonelabs too.you may also need to remove the files from programme files!
norton and zone alarm definately dont go well together

It seems all traces of Norton/Symantec are now gone from my system (yay!).

Not sure how i did it but i have also restored my internet access (although now i am afraid to shut down). I honestly don't know how a program which had been completely uninstalled/removed/deleted had still managed to shut down my net access. It astounds me. There are NO Zone Alarm processes or services running on my machine and yet....? It infuriates me.

Hi RBS,
No, i don't have vsmon.exe on my system-- i deleted it some time ago. I had my system up and running 2 days ago but upon reboot i am back on lockdown. I opened IE, received the ZA lockdown page and ran Hijack This (attached). I don't see ANY ZA processes.

If this happens when i reboot, is there something in the registry i can delete? I have run services.msc and i can't see anything ZA related either. I tried to start from a bootdisk and delete vsdatant.sys and Internet Logs but i received the same sharing violation. This is driving me crazy.

Download PocketKillbox here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip. Extract it from the zip file, remember where it goes.
Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it. In the "Paste Full Path of File to Delete" box, fill in the full path/filename you want to delete. (repeat for both files vsdatant and inet log)
Click on the Action menu and choose "Delete on Reboot". In the Action menu select "Process and Reboot".
When prompted to reboot, do so.

I am pretty sure i already tried KillBox but i will try it again when i get home to my PC. Thanks.

RBS -- Killbox did not work. I did however find a program called unlock17.exe which allowed me to delete the sys file and the contents of Internet Logs. Once i deleted the remaining traces of ZA and cleaned up my registry, the problem was solved. I FINALLY have net access again!!

I noticed you went to other forums as well...

For those interested: The proper program name is Unlocker 1.7.4 and is available here:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml

Unlocker is an explorer extension that allows you with a simple right-click of the mouse on a file or folder to get rid of error message such as error deleting file or folder, cannot delete folder: it is used by another person or program.

Helps delete locked files with error messages like:

- Cannot delete file: Access is denied
- There has been a sharing violation.
- The source or destination file may be in use.
- The file is in use by another program or user.
- Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back