Cannot Hibernate (Button will not appear even though I hold Shift)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanbag

Hi, I'm having a problem hibernating; I can't do so at all.
Holding down the shift button at the shut down screen does not provoke a response, the Standby button does not change. Pressing 'H' for the hotkey results in an error sound.
Accessing hibernate from the Task Manager is not possible as well, it appears greyed out and unclickable when listed with the other options under the Shut Down tab.
I have recently used services.msc to stop some services in order to improve my computer speed, and I think its likely that this caused the problem.
I have made sure that Fast User Switching is enabled.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I hope you can help!

Hello, I tried your method, but I got the reply "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Thanks for the post though. What do you think could be causing this?

Did you enable hibernate? Apparently thats what support_stars comment did, although I don't know why it didn't work. try going to start, then control panel, and click the power options icon (the icon only shows in classic view, which you can switch to in the sidebar). Then click the hibernation tab and make sure the enable hibernation button is checked. If it already is checked then you might not have enough disk space for it.

hibernate is vendor specific; On my Toshiba Laptop, it is controlled via the
Toshiba Console and any attempt to access CP-> Power Options yields a complaint
to use the vendor software :)

Sorry, I think I should have previously mentioned that my computer is an Acer one and I have meddled with the services in services.msc.

Instead of leading to the usual power options configuration screen, pressing the Power Options in Control Panel leads me to the Acer power config screen where it doesn't actually list an option for enabling Hibernation.

How much disk space is needed for hibernation? Although it's likely that isn't the problem.

Thanks for your help.

HD free space can be an issue, but if it were, you would have failures to activate
rather than grayed buttons :(

I had your exact problem recently, when I changed my account from admin to a regular user. You have to be an administrator to hibernate, which may be your problem

sorry, just not so. I run regularly as an LUA user abd use ADMIN only for maintenance.
Hybernation works under ALL USER TYPES!

enable hibernate (ur motherboard must support it)
u need atleast 400mb(i think) of HDD space
you may enable it from powe-saving features from control panel
or
right-click on desktop
select "properties"
go to "screen saver" tab
(at bottom) click on "power"
(there u should see a "hibernate" tab) go there and check "Enable hibernation" (if it's not there, ur m/b doesnt support it)
well in my case, i used to love hibernating my computer but then i installed a software called "DeepFreeze" and now this software has disabled my computer's hibernating ability and i cant manually over-ride it.
SO... u check for the software that is preventing hibernation, it may be some security linked software.
OR since you said...
Beanbag said:
I have meddled with the services in services.msc.
i suggest that you study the services there and enable the service linked to hibernation.

enable hibernation under the ADMIN login and all users will inherit the setting :)

Solved by reformatting

Well it's been a veryyy long time since I last looked at this (sorry!) but just want to say that it's been fixed by a reformat. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back