Cannot log into Windows2K stand alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a stand alone Windows 2000 computer my daughter has been using.
This week, for some reason, no one can log in, neither my daughter or myself with either a user or administrator password.
the error is "the system cannot log you on now because the domain Family_AMS is not available".

"Family_AMS" is the name I gave to that computer, and it has worked well enough for a few years.

We have other computers in the house, and a home network, as well as a work group, and generally, all the computers can see each other, though, of course, we cannot see Family_AMS anymore.

We had just updated virus defs and run a virus scan, so it is unlikely it is a virus, but who knows.

I was able to log on to the computer with the Windows CD using the Control panel, but I don't know what to do once logged on.

Would appreciate any help anyone can provide.
thanks

Hi

By default Win2K uses Workgroup if in a standalone environment, it seems that your PC was introduced to a Domain called Family_AMS, I assume that was something you did at some point but you dont say for certain.

When you get the option to log on using CTRL\ALT\DEL there should be a drop down box underneath where you put in your password with
Family_AMS and Workgroup ( or whatever you called your network) set it to Workgroup ( or the above mentioned whatever) instead of Family_AMS then log on.

If the box only has a username and password box then there should be an options box underneath it, click it and it should show the third box.

Be seeing you....

Thanks, ididmyc600, but that is not the case. There never was a domain, just the workgroup, and the only choice under "options" is "log on using a modem". My other Win2K computer is also a part of the workgroup, and also does not have a drop down under "options".

Actually, I have asked several quite savvy friends and co-workers, and the solution is something none of us have been able to figure out yet. I don't know where the error may have come from. The computer worked fine for two years, then, poof.

I think I need to be able to log onto the machine with the control console and somehow change the computer name or some variable - I can log on with the console and administrator pwd, I just don't know what to do, and I can't log on to the actual windows2k OS with a gui that I can click on and change anything at all that I am familiar with.

thanks

Hi

Strange it says it cant find a Domain called Family_AMS yet it has never been near a Domain controller,

Just to ask do all the other PC's use "Workgroup" as their workgroup.

I did a google and found this

1. Start Windows 2000 in recovery consol
2. From the Recovery Console, type copy c:\winnt\repair\security c:\winnt\system32\config\security at the command prompt, and then press ENTER

Regards

thanks, but it didn't work

I really appreciate your help, but it didn't work.
since I was not able to fix it a while ago, I gave up - I put the operating system on a different disk and made the old primary the slave so I could go back and try if someone came up with an idea, so I tried (making the old disk the primary again and using the repair console), but it didn't work. (of course, I realized that after using the repair console, I could have just copied the file with the new operating system...) Anyway, we now have a new, working system, though we still have to reinstall all the old programs, at least none of the files were lost.
Thanks again
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back