Cannot open Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vAsh_cAsh

Help i cannot open my Internet Explorer from the desktop. Every time i i try to open it keeps creating a shortcut on the desktop.

I have installed and ran AVG, Ad ware, spy bot, our network has Trend Micro Client/Server Security Agent. Any other options to diagnose this problem.

Thanks

Give this a try and see if it helps.

Download the attached .zip file and save it to your desktop.

Unzip it and double click on the IE_Desktop_Shortcut-Fix. Click yes when it asks if you want to merge it into the registry.

Regards Howard :)

Attachments

• IE-Desktop-Shortcut-Fix.zip
    926 bytes · Views: 52
Thanks i will try and let you know

well i tried but i think there is another issue the home page comes up and than i have a couple of blank internet explorer pages poping up

any thoughts could it be malware virul????

Cannot access Internet Explorer possible malware

Cannot access Internet Explorer possible malware

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    11.6 KB · Views: 11
I don`t know why you found it necessary to start a new thread, but I have merged them.

Nothing wrong there, other than the fact your running two antiovirus programmes. Trend and AVG.

Uninstall one antivirus programme immediately as it is not recommended to run more than one and it can cause serious conflicts.

We need to temporarily disable Spybot search & Destroy`s tea time, as it may interfere with any fix we are trying to run.

Disable Spybot's TeaTimer. This is a two step process.
First:
- Right click Spybot in the System Tray (looks like a calendar with a padlock symbol)
- Choose Exit Spybot S&D Resident
Second:
- Open Spybot S&D
- Click Mode, check Advanced Mode
- Go To Left Panel, Click Tools, then also in left panel, click Resident
- If your firewall raises a question, say OK
- Uncheck the box labeled Resident Tea-Timer and OK any prompts.
- Use File, Exit to terminate Spybot
- Reboot your machine for the changes to take effect.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com.au/

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://au.yahoo.com/

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or folders(if there).

C:\windows\ALCMTR.EXE

Let me know if that helps at all.

This thread is for the use of vAsh_cAsh only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

howard

well i tried and the original msn homepage popped up and as i typed for google.com than Enter another window popped up blank. Performance of the PC slows down greatly.

Ok, let`s have a more in depth look at your system.

Download combofix.exe to your desktop. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts. A window will open with a warning. Type "1" (and Enter) to start the fix. When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log. Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

Post the Combofix log.

This thread is for the use of vAsh_cAsh only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back