Cannot open "my computer".

Status
Not open for further replies.

transviruses

i can not open my computer, my documents, control panel, my net work places, etc, and an window pop up says :Data execution Prevention- Microsoft Windows to gelp protect your computer, windows has closed this program." i can open them by going into a program and go files>open. but if i go to the safemode i can open it normaly.

scan for the 4 baddies (virus mal/spy/adware)
run chkdisk /f and defrag

post us details of:
system specs
recent changes/downloads/tweaks etc
anything wierd happenings

Cannot open my computer or any file explorer window

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Thought it might be a virus but I have now cleaned system of any viruses, or adware. Have run chkdsk and defragged to no avail. Because the windows error message is "data execution prevention" it shows a help link of "what to do", but this is no help as I cannot open control panel as this is an explorer window!

My pc is only 1 mnth old. Acer e300 64mb. No wierd stuff to report or changes, although I have installed various software since getting it...Any ideas?

I could always use the recovery disks I made when it was brand new....

Thanks in advance, Mike

if u have an windows cd then put it to u r cdrom and go to dos prompt.go to d:(where d: is a cdrom drive) i386 folder then type expand -r rundll32.exe c:\windows or winnt \system32

it may be solve u r pbm.

my pc:
amd 64 athlon 3200+ (754 socket)
asus k8n-e
ati radeaon x800 pro
120 gb of hard drive
1 gb of ram
creative sound card

i have scaned my pc over and over again for virus and spywares.now it doesnt have happene any more, but when ever i go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Shared it says window has encountered a problem and i have to click END NOW ont he bottom of that message.

Cannot open my computer or any file explorer window

Hi

Thanks Pillai for the advice, but I did not get a windows CD with the pc. I have now decided to use my recovery discs to wipe the Cdrive and start again, after saving all my files.

I was able to do this by exploring my files in the internet explorer window and copying them across to the external hard drive.

It is the only way to be sure.

Cheers
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back