Cannot play WMV files

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilloz

I removed Movie Player through the Synaptic Package Manager and later found out that I could not play WMV files, so I reinstalled the program. Unfortunately for me it no longer plays WMV files whereas before it did. Could I have removed other files that did not install with me reinstalling Movie Player again?

kimsland said:
Windows Media Player comes with the codecs to play WMV already.
I'd say update your WMP HERE

heheh... I don't think that's going to run very well on the OP's Linux distro. :p

OP - try reinstalling the win32 codecs:

Code:
wget http://www3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20071007.tar.bz2
tar jxfv essential-20071007.tar.bz2
sudo mv -i essential-20071007/* /usr/lib/win32/

Hit 'n' when prompted to replace a file.

From here.

That article is talking about mplayer, but the codecs should be available to Totem as well. Of course, you could always just start using mplayer if you can't get Totem to cooperate.

HTH!

Freemont: For a newcomer in training, you sure know your stuff. Thank you so very much for your reply. It all worked just great!!!

gilloz said:
Freemont: For a newcomer in training, you sure know your stuff. Thank you so very much for your reply. It all worked just great!!!

Well, I'm a newcomer here. ;-)

I'm glad I could be of help. :)

@freemont
She said, “Open Internet Explorer.” I said, “Ok.”
She said, “Click Tools.” Grimacing, I said, “Ok.”
She said, “Click Internet Options.”
“Ok,” I said, staring at a page in Opera

That would be funny, just looking at a page in Opera, saying ok -hang on, hang on, yep done, cookies cleared :haha:

She was an *****. o-0

I wish I weren't so lazy about writing. There are many more stories I could add to my little blog. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back