Cannot Type Password To Start Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
My operating system is windows XP sp1 and I have all microsoft updates except sp 2. My motherboard is an Intel brand with a P4 2.26 ghz cpu. My antivirus is AVG free version currently updated.

I have my computer password protected. I always turn my computer off when I am not using it.

Now when I turn it on it starts to run scan disc then stops running scan disc then goes to the password screen but when I click on my only user name and try to type my password no dots appear and I cannot get my computer to start.

Pressing the F1 key when my computer starts used to bring up my bios but now it does not bring up the bios. However after I keep pressing F1 as my computer starts and get to the log in screen then for some reason I can enter my user and start my computer.

I have tried to use system restore to go back to a date before I had this problem but it fails to go back to a restore point every time.

What do you think is going on?

A friend says it is a "network virus" but I don't see on the internet where anyone else is getting this kind of a virus.

Never mind the problem has been fixed. It was a bad keyboad. I don't understand how the keyboard would work perfectly except when logging on but that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back