Cannot Uninstall Programs, please help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

valmat14

someone please help me i found another post relevant but didnt want to hijack it. i ran hijack this and i will post the log

Hello, valmat14, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, can you just not uninstall via the control panel or does an error come up when you run any uninstaller?

Edit: you need to run the latest version of Hijack This, download it from the link here and follow the instructions for renaming the file then post a new log

i cannot install programs from the add/remove programs list, or from the start menu. they just will not uninstall.

here is my updated log file

evilfantasy i want to fix my problem, so that later i can uninstall stuff still, that program just seems to uninstall stuff

jase i can getinto add/remove programs just cant remove anything

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You need to be as specific as you can and tell us exactly what happens when you try and uninstall something.

Tell us anything you have tried to resolve the issue.

Also, tell us when the issue first appeared etc. Had you recently made any hardware/software changes for instance?

As much info as you can give, might give us a clue as to what the actual problem may be.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

i cannot even try, when i go into the add/remove programs there is no button to remove any program. NO BUTTON WHATSOEVER

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You need to be as specific as you can and tell us exactly what happens when you try and uninstall something.

Tell us anything you have tried to resolve the issue.

Also, tell us when the issue first appeared etc. Had you recently made any hardware/software changes for instance?

As much info as you can give, might give us a clue as to what the actual problem may be.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

no hardware changes whatsoever, its a laptop and its already as upgraded as it can ever be. havent installed any drivers, or software since june, in july and august i was able to uninstall programs, haven't had to uninstall anything, but there are some programs on it that i dont need anymore and i cannot get rid of them.

Jase123 said:
When did this start happening?

Be more specific.

Regards Jase :)

idk when it started, but as of saturday when i was going in to clean it up i couldnt do anything in add/remove programs.

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. This starts the Registry Editor. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Uninstall
\<Program Name>

In the right-pane, do the following:

Double-click NoRemove (REG_DWORD) and set it to 0
Double-click NoModify (REG_DWORD) and set it to 0

If NoRemove is set to 1, the Remove button will be unavailable
If NoModify is set to 1, the Change button will be unavailable

Please note: Rather than making a new post when there are no replies in between, use the edit button.

Thanks

you could try this handy utility from Microsoft called TweakUI

Right, double click the file you downloaded, tweakui.exe, you should ideally have saved it on your Desktop.

In the next window that appears, it gives a location to save to, which by default is the Temp folder under your Documents and Settings, which is deep inside Windows. Click inside the textbox, and delete the text and add "tweakui" so that it shows "C:\tweakui" without the quotes.

Click Unzip, then go to the C:\tweakui directory, and right click the tweakui.inf file, its icon is like a text file icon with a yellow cog on it, and click Install.

This will add a TweakUI option in your Control Panel. Double click on that to open it, then click the Add/Remove tab on the top row of tabs.

This will display the same programs that you'll find in your default Add/Remove Programs, which should also include the errant entries for the programs you've uninstalled. Highlight those you wish to remove, then click Remove.

Regards Jase :)

You still haven`t given us any info like I asked for.

Try doing a system restore to before your problem occurred See if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

i only have a few items in that registry folder, and none of them have the noremove field

howard_hopkinso said:
You still haven`t given us any info like I asked for.

Try doing a system restore to before your problem occurred See if that helps.

yes howard go look at post number 14

i did do a system restore last night i restored back to june when i know i was able to remove programs and i was sill unable to

What security software do you have?
Antivirus
Firewall
Spyware

Some security software such as antivirus have these features disabled as a safety precaution to prevent viruses from uninstalling them.

You obviously posted at the same time as me and that`s why I didn`t see it. ;)

However, I still recommend you try a system restore to before your problem began. It might just help.

i do have norton system works installed, but it isnt he culprit as it is also installed on my desktop and that is working fine.

Just to be sure.

Go to Start => Run and type in "regedit" {without the quotes}
Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<Pro gram Name here>

Some don't have a recognizable name, just a long series of letters and numbers, but look in the right-hand pane at DisplayName.

In the right-hand pane:

Check if these values exist, and if so,

Double-click on 'NoRemove' and set its value to 0
Double-click on 'NoModify' and set its value to 0

If NoRemove is set to 1, the Remove button will be unavailable
If NoModify is set to 1, the Change button will be unavailable

yea nothing in the list under that system path has NoRemove. so idk what to do i am thinking of just reformatting but i cannot head that way yet as im not sure if i can just throw some files back into program folders after i reinstall some software i need for classes

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back