Cannot update Windows Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

focus_water

I've just installed Windows Server 2003 and i want to update, but when ever i try i get an error message. the error code is 0x80072EE7. I believe it isnt working because the way my network is setup. I have another computer which is running Linux and my modem is connected to that and im using IP masquerade so Windows has access to the internet.
this is how each computer is set up.

Windows:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Linux eth0
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

eth1:
IP Address: 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Primary DNS: 4.2.2.2
Secondary DNS: 4.2.2.3

Any ideas how to fix it?

If the rest of the internet works OK, then that is not your problem. You did read the relevant Microsoft KB article and follow all the advice there?

Are the time and date correct on the WIndows machine?
Maybe try downloading and installing the latest service pack (SP2) manually and do the Windows Update after that?

Nodsu said:
If the rest of the internet works OK, then that is not your problem. You did read the relevant Microsoft KB article and follow all the advice there?

Are the time and date correct on the WIndows machine?
Maybe try downloading and installing the latest service pack (SP2) manually and do the Windows Update after that?

when i connect the modem to the windows computer it works fine, but i dont want to keep swapping the modem back and forth all the time. microsoft says to check the HOST file and make sure there is nothing in there that says something like update.microsoft.com. i checked that. i noticed that when i download windows live messenger or IE 7, it wont work as well. there may be something on the server that i have to change because when i used to use XP they were networked in the same way and everything went fine.

Do you happen to have a software firewall on the Windows machine or does the Linux firewall filter the masqueraded traffic too?

Maybe you are blocking ICMP traffic and that breaks path MTU discovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back