Cannot write to registry - How to enable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy05

Hello all... haven't been here for quite a while.

I have a problem here. I am tasked by my company to create a program. Part of this program requires writing into the registry. I've created a prototype of it and when I try running it, I was unable to make changes to the registry.

I'm running on a user with limited access (non administrator). I've tried enabling write access on C: as well as enabling "EVERYONE" to edit the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key through regedit without any success. I've tried playing with the settings in gpedit.msc but can't find anything too.

Any hints on where I should go about searching? Or is it that limited accounts are not able to edit the registry?

eddy05 said:
Or is it that limited accounts are not able to edit the registry?

That probably is the reason, after all limited means limited, and why you always have to log on as admin to install anything.

Regards

I am confused, why would you be tasked to write a program and only have a limited account?

Just like it was said before, the word limited is just what you are for now, limited

Oh, I have access to its administrator account. I'm asked to write a program which, when functional, is to be run by users running on limited accounts. The program itself writes to the registry to store settings which is always changing when the program runs.

Don't think just any user can run regedit. Wouldn't make much sense. Use your Admin rights.

Using admin rights is OK.

The problem is, the program itself is not able to edit the registry whilst running in a limited account. I wonder if there is a setting to enable user programs to edit the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back