Canon S630 Printhead gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
The printhead in my Canon S630 is apparently gone. I get 7 blinks of orange indicator, looked up the code and that's what it says.
If I remove the printhead, there is no error, so I guess that is really what the problem is.

I checked out prices for new printhead, and found it to be around $45.00.
That's a lot to spend to repair a printer that is more than 5 years old, and I could buy a better one for about $100 today.

Before I throw the printer out, I was wondering if this problem could have a simple remedy.
I have already tried cleaning all of the contacts, allowing the printer to be powered down and unplugged for hours, and disconnecting it from the computer when I power it up. The result is always the same: Indicator says bad printhead.

Thanks for any help.

FW

before you chuck it, try this. Soak the print head in 100% rubbing alcohol (as close to 100% alcohol as your can buy). Remove it and use a q-tip and remove as much clogged ink from the micro-holes as you can get. Wash the head in HOT water. Then re-soak in an alcohol bath (fresh) again until it looks really clean. Do not use water to rinse the last time. Allow the head to dry COMPLETELY. Then reinstall with ink tanks. Run your auto-cleaner software a few times. If it works, you just saved $40+

That 100% alcohol is called denatured alcohol. This is approximately 90% water free. I use it to clean printheads, cpu surfaces and to get sticky stuff off things. It stinks, but it works

You don't really need the more pure Denatured alcohol for cleaning printheads. The cheaper 90% will do fine

It wasn't a serious suggestion to get the more pure, which is why I linked the outrageous price. But then again if you can get ahold of some for free then go ahead.

I used to work with that laboratory variety of denatured alcohol. The company was in the business of making crystals and mirrors used in laser systems. For them, it was mandatory.

I have yet to try the procedure on the print head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back