Can't access computer on home network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I have a problem with a computer on my home network in a Workgroup. I can make the computer appear using the search function or using the "View Workgroup Computers" under Network Tasks, but when I click on it to try to see the shares, i get an error message:

\\Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the amdinistrator of the Network.....

Simple File Sharing has been turned on.
All computers are using Windows XP. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Did you run network setup wizard for both computers? If not, then that should be your first step.

Yes I have already run the Network Setup Wizard...and as per the link in the message above, I checked off Enable NetBios over TCP/IP but still the same situation exists...I can see the computer in the WORKGROUP but when i click on it to access it, i get the same error message that the computer is not accessible.(yes indeed there are folders shared out)

What else should I check?

Thanks in advance,
George

go to security tab on shared drive/folder and enter administrator and network remove any other users unless you have others that need access
do this first anyway
under the shared folder add the network
if both are home then both must use same user and password
if working you will be asked for user and pass

I dont have a Security Tab when I right click on a shared folder...I have General, Sharing and Customize Tabs only. Not sure why i do not have the security Tab...Tried running the Network Setup wizard again, but i still do not get the Security Tab. Any idea on how i can get it?

Thanks,
George

xp home maybe
both machines need to be logged as same user and password
if not home disable simple file share cannot disable tis in home edition
Boot into safe mode and then log in as Administrator
must have ntfs file system to access security tab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back