Can't access ext HDD, causes slowdown in Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

I have an eStar external HDD that's been working fine for 6mths until last 2 days. I noticed a MAJOR slow down in my windows explorer...and accessing things like recycle bin and my computer. Inside explorer I can access all other drives, but it's slow to respond. I tried to access my H drive...and it hung, for a good while, finally giving me an I/O error message. I unplugged it, shut it off and waited about 5mins. Turned it back on and reconnected and the little window where it was reading the drive came up...showing the little flashlight icon whil reading the files. It did this for a bit, then it froze when I tried to enter the drive. If someone pops online on MSN their window goes up and down slowly leaving "ghost" trails.....but once I shut down the ext HDD again....all goes back to normal. Any ideas on why suddenly it is unaccessable and why it would slow my whole system down. Before I tried the ext HDD....I did adware/spyware and virus checks all with no results. It is not VITAL I get this drive back, but it does have 4games on it that I'd like to retrieve if it's possible. thx for any input.

Chkdsk at the command prompt
  • Click Start and then Run or hold the windows key & R
  • In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER
  • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.
Note: volume is the drive C,D, etc.

Edit: for an example if your external is considered drive f: you would type chkdsk f:/r

Ooooooooh....okay, no....sorry, I misread that part. I was thinking that the "r" was where the volume went, my bad. thanks....off to try.

Still going.....at roughly 20% now. I am getting a TON of "file record segment XXXX is unreadable" Every line that shows in the window has this, no other lines other than the percentage done.

sounds like bad sectors. The drive could be physically damaged, or the data on the drive could be corrupt. Lets see what chkdsk fixes. the /r command means it will attempt to repair errors and recover readable information

It's a 40g drive....and it JUST hit 21%....hhahaha, I think I've got a bit of a wait on this. I haven't used these games for about a month now....so no idea what would corrupt them suddenly. One I can see possibly....but 4 all together ??

Well....hours and hours of waiting for it to finish, same end result. I/O error message. I assume then that this drive is now nothing more than something to weigh the bottom of the garbage down in the wind ?!?

I tried to format in the command prompt...but it said unable due to I/O error. ARGH, there is nothing I can do but throw it out am I correct ?? Please tell me there IS something that can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back