Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize

My Sengate 1T external HD has been working for years. It has vital back ups, files, movies, docs, etc.
I CANNOT AFFORD TO LOOSE ANYTHING!!! (I am a DJ and also have over 20 000 tracks on there)

I was using the external HD on a Windows 8 laptop and accidentally pulled the USB cable out of the port while it was loading and changing the "Permissions for SYSTEM and Authenticated User" on a specific file on my external HD.

When I plugged it back in the drive showed up on my computer as normal but would not open.
After reading a few posts I went to the device manager deleted the drivers for the external HD then when I plugged it back in it updated the drivers and told me me my device is now working properly and ready to use and my drivers are up to date.

But now it wont show up on my computer at all.

I went into disk management and the Disk 1 had an icon with a picture of a HD with a red arrow facing down in a white circle.
under Disk 1 it says:
Unkown
(empty line)
Not Initialized

I then right clicked and it said offline. When trying to get it back online it says:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

In the properties under Volumes it says:
Disk: Disk 1
Type: Unknown
Partition style: Not Applicable
Capacity: 0MB
Unallocated space: 0MB
Reserved space: 0MB

When I try to Initialize Disk it says:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

hd stuffed.jpg

I have tried it on every port and on a different PC running Vista as well as on my TV (which now says "no USB device plugged in")

PLEASE HELP!!!

I NEED TO FIX THIS or at least find a way to BACK IT UP and transfer ALL the data onto another drive.

Similar thing happened to me.. I'd love to hear an answer on how to recover the data as some of it is rather important.. Good luck DJC, I'll check back in and hopefully we will have our files back!!

See I think your hard drive is logically damaged in this case I would suggest you to use a data recovery program. For that go online and search some best and renowned data recovery software, you will get them in two version one free and one paid. Just try the free one first then if you think it really working nicely then go for the paid version. And if still any problem then consult a professional data recovery company.

Why don't you go ahead and unplugged the SATA cable, and plug it in again. Then do exactly like you did uninstalled then installed again.

Like alex said, I think this is something where you are going to need a recovery tool rather than a diagnostic tool. As long as you just pulled the cord out accidentally and not 'pulled the cord and crashed the hard drive to the floor' your data should be good, just perhaps a partition table got hosed somehow. The data should still be there.

Although, this should serve as a lesson/reminder to everyone to never have only 1 copy of critically important data. I know sometimes this is hard, especially when you are dealing with giga or terabytes of data, but if it really is irreplaceable the $100-$150 cost of a dedicated backup drive should be worth it.

The information is in the thread. Please read it. Without further details we have to assume the answers are already here.

This is also my problem, see my screenshots. please let me know if you have solve this problem. I tried everything but nothing happened.
2.jpg3.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 13
  • drive not showing.jpg
    drive not showing.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 11
Back