Can't access netgear router wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

I have tried to access my netgear ro318 router through 192.168.0.1 multiple times to setup my home network, but it won't go for some reason. I have tried on 2 different machines. I currently have my DSL setup to my main PC and have been trying to setup the router with that PC, as well as the other one.

Anyway, I connect the modem to the router and then the router to the 2 PC's. Restart everything, and try to access the router to setup DHCP on it, but I cannot get logged into it.

I think I am overlooking something simple here, but I cannot figure it out. Any suggestions are welcome.

This is my first time trying to setup a home network with DSL (so I feel like a 12 year old who just got a car and doesn't know how to drive it), I have done it at school with ethernet, but that was a piece of cake, this is racking my brain.

Are you aure 192.168.0.1 is the sorrect address? My router uses 192.168.1.254 as default for example.

Some routers also have special software or telnet based access in addition to/instead of the web based configuration.

Also, the router takes some time to boot up, you should give it a minute or at least 30 seconds at least.

I suspect problems if you have set your PC to obtain the IP configuartion automatically and you haven't configured DHCP on the router yet or the router hasn't booted up yet when windows asks for DHCP info.

I have let it sit for several minutes, but to no avail. I will try some new addresses as papa instructed me to use 192.168.1.1, but I swear my manual says .0.1 We'll see when I get home I'll let everyone know. Thanks Nodsu.

Ok, well I don't know what happened, but I reset the router and all is well now. Thank you all for the suggestions. I was simply overlooking an easy solution

Would it be a good idea to change the default router address? Or is it okay to leave how it is? Reason I am asking is because I want to run a webserver on one of my pc's.

Default router address?

Do you mean the local IP address of the router? It doesn't make any difference what you set it to.

If you mean a DMZ host, then I would suggest not specifying one at all. DMZ is a definite security risk and should only be used in very security-aware setups. Any small-scale system should do just fine using specific port forwarding.

As for running a webserver, you should check whether you actually can do it on default ports. For example my ISP blocks ports 80 and 8080 to prevent peoples computers to be used as proxies.

I read last week someone suggesting to changing the default router address for security reasons. I don't know how valid that is if you use a secure password (more than 7 alphanumeric characters with special characters added). I was contemplating changing mine, too.

Changing the router address is not a real security feature.

The router is set as a gateway in every computer on the LAN. Anyone with any knowledge about networking can find out the address on any of the computers.

Changing the address may be useful to prevent people adding computers to the lan and getting internet access easily but it does not stop a more determined person.

i was told that in order for a game server i create, i would have to forward the port cause im running off a router, but i don't know anything about that because when i create the server noone can find it and get on, so i was wondering if anyone can tell or help me with forwarding the port.

You open the router setup and look for a section called "virtual server" or "port forwarding" or something similar.

There you will have to fill in the port number(s), protocol type and the internal IP on your computer.

You can get the port number(s) and the protocol type(s) from your game manual. If your PCs IP address is set to automatic, then I suggest setting it manually.

Also, the IP address you give to your friends or that you have to fill in in the game server setup must be the external ip of your router. You can find that somewhere in the router setup too.

If you are running a software firewall on your PC, then you have to open the same ports on that too.

These are very general instructions, if you need more help on something specific, go ahead and ask away.

i thank you for your help, i was able to find a player that ran a server off a router and he was able to help, so now everythings set up and working properly.

again thank you for the info ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back