Can't boot from cd or hard drive or floppy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My system: Home built Windows XP Pro, Abit AN7 motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 1 gig DDR 2100 RAM, 200gig Seagate HD, 200 gig WD HD, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, ATI RADEON 8500DV AIW, Creative Audigy 2, Antec 420watt True Power PSU.
A few days ago I started having problems when I would reboot. It would take several tries before I could boot into XP. It kept getting worse until I could not longer boot into XP at all. The video would corrupt (vertical stripes) and then it would freeze. Well, I thought maybe I had a virus, so I tried to boot from a KNOPPIX Live Linux CD, and it did the same thing. I then thought maybe it was the video card or the drivers, so I tried the card in another computer and it worked fine. Then I thought maybe the motherboard was bad, so I replaced it with a new ABIT AN7. I had a Gigabyte board before. Even after replacing the MB, I still cannot boot from the hard drive or cd although the video is no longer corrupted. I have also tried disconnecting everything and trying different memory to no avail. The POST is fine and I can get into the BIOS fine, it's after that when the trouble starts. When I try to boot from the cd or hard drive, it will start to load even taking me to the XP safe mode menu, but no matter what selection I make, it will hang once it starts to load. Same thing with the KNOPPIX CD and with MANDRAKE MOVE live CD. I tried disconnecting the HD's and just boot from the CD, still doesn't work. I have tried to reinstall XP, but it will do the initial driver and file install and hang before it get to the user agreement screen.

Any suggestions? Could it be the CPU?
Please help!

Welcome to TechSpot
When you change motherboards, you will have to re-install from scratch. It will never start your old Windows from a new mobo.
Your new mobo may also need a BIOS-update to recognize harddisks of that size.
In either case, take the Audigy card out, then try again. When asked for SCSI-drivers etc. you may need to press F6 and install special drivers for those HDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back