Cant boot into XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

I have XP Pro on one hard drive and installed 2000 Pro on the second. Ive always had my system set up this way with no problems but this time there are 2 XP entries and a 2000 in the boot loader and neither of the XP's work. I tried fixboot and fixmbr through recovery console but that didnt work. I was going to edit the boot.ini file but when I do a search for it Windows says I dont have it.

On what drive/partition is XP installed and where is W2K?
Normally, boot.ini is on the first harddrive in the first partition (the C-drive) which is also the normal booting drive.

XP is on primary master C and 2000 is on secondary master D. After searching through windows explorer I finally found the boot.ini. I cant figure out why it doesnt show up in a search. One of the XP entries has /NoExecute=OptIn at the end. I dont know which one to delete.

vegasgmc said:
After searching through windows explorer I finally found the boot.ini. I cant figure out why it doesnt show up in a search.

That is because by default system and protected files are not displayed when you search. You have to go to advanced search and check show hidden and system files while searching.

vegasgmc said:
XP is on primary master C and 2000 is on secondary master D. After searching through windows explorer I finally found the boot.ini. I cant figure out why it doesnt show up in a search. One of the XP entries has /NoExecute=OptIn at the end. I dont know which one to delete.
Could you post the whole boot.ini contents here? You said neither of XPs work, does 2000 work then? And in which order did you install those operating systems?

I just re-installed XP. Its easier than trouble shooting. I always install 2000 first and then XP so XP will be first in the boot loader. The problem was every time I chose XP at boot up the computer would try to go to 2000. Thanks

Vegasgmc,

Go into the Command Prompt and type BOOTCFG /?

Then type BOOTCFG /DEFAULT /?

Then go from there.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back